Horse Collar is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the Mill or at the Folwark (Poles only) once the Feudal Age is reached. Once researched, Farms provide +75 food (for a total of 250) before they need to be reseeded.
Farms built before Horse Collar is researched do not gain the food bonus. If the technology is completed while a Farm is being built, the food bonus applies to that Farm.
Heavy Plow is the further upgrade of this technology.
- Burgundians: Can research Horse Collar in the Dark Age. Horse Collar costs -50% food.
- Chinese: Horse Collar is 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Franks: Horse Collar is free.
- Portuguese: Researching Horse Collar is 30% faster.
- Sicilians: Horse Collar provides +150 food to Farms.
- Vietnamese: Horse Collar costs .
Rise of the Rajas
- Vietnamese: Horse Collar costs the regular price.
- Vietnamese: With update 35584, Horse Collar costs no wood.
Lords of the West
|“||During the Dark Ages oxen were the prime source of animal power on farms, even though horses were recognized as being stronger and easier to use. The available harnesses for horses, however, choked the animal, and therefore seriously limiting its pulling power. A chest horse collar was invented in the East, possibly China, and gradually worked its way to Europe. This was an important innovation for European farming because it tremendously increased the pulling power of horses. This reduced the time needed to plow land and led to more land being taken into cultivation.||”|