The Horse Archer is a ranged cavalry unit in Age of Empires that can be trained at the Archery Range once the Iron Age is reached. It is the very first cavalry archer to appear in the Age of Empires series, and the predecessor of the Cavalry Archer in Age of Empires II and the same unit in Age of Empires III.
The Horse Archer is a fast ranged cavalry that can be made during the Iron Age in the Archery Range. Horse Archers are one of the more expensive archer units, but their decent attack, good range and, most importantly, high speed makes them one of the best units of the Iron Age.
Although only having a tenth of an Elephant Archer's hitpoints, the Horse Archer has more than double its speed. Having this key ability allows them to outmaneuver most units in open terrain. Under ideal conditions in one on one combat, horse archers dominate the field. As a result, this makes them a great choice in guerilla warfare. However, due to their fragility, their attacking potential becomes less powerful the more they are bunched together on the battlefield where they can be prime targets for siege weaponry that does area of effect damage. The Horse Archer can be upgraded to the more powerful Heavy Horse Archer.
- Scale Armor Archers increases armor by 2.
- Artisanship increases range by 1.
- Nobility increases hit points by 15%.
- Alchemy increases attack by 1.
- Ballistics increases accuracy.
- Chain Mail Archers increases armor by 2.
- Craftsmanship increases range by 1.
|Archery Range Tree|
- Assyrians: Horse Archers have reload time.
- Hittites: Horse Archers have +1 damage.
- Yamato: Horse Archers are cheaper.
- Macedonians: Horse Archers are four times more resistant against conversion.
- Yamato Horse Archers cost 25% less and now move at normal speed.
- Horse Archers now have 1 pierce armor (down from 2).
- With Content Update 9, Yamato Horse Archers cost -20%. With update 38862, the discount was further reduced to -15%.
Horse archers started to gradually replace chariot archers on the ancient battlefields from the Iron Age on. Two ranged cavalrymen had the firepower of a single Chariot Archer and could move faster on the battlefield. Also, a loss on the battlefield was of only one horse and the archer in contrast to the loss of a chariot, of the men on the chariot and often, of the horses. The horse archers' use was gradually limited when many cultures, such as the Greeks made increasing use of heavy cavalry (such as the Companion cavalry), and skirmishing troops. The Chinese also built the Great Wall to protect themselves against these cavalrymen and other armies from the western steppes.
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Archer||Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Ship||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|