Attack bonus Edit
- Buildings: ×3.5
God Bonuses and Upgrades Edit
Poseidon reduces food and gold cost by 10%
- Medium Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, and Champion Cavalry all increase LOS by 1 and attack by 10%, and increase hit points by 10%, 15% and 20% respectively.
- Levy Cavalry and Conscript Cavalry decrease training time by 20%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons, and Iron Weapons increase attack by 10%.
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail, and Iron Mail decrease hack vulnerability by 10%.
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields, and Iron Shields decrease pierce vulnerability by 10%.
- Lord of Horses (Poseidon) increases LOS by 4.
- Spirited Charge (Hermes) increases speed and attack by 10%.
- Thracian Horses (Dionysus) increases hit points by 20%.
- Weapon of the Titans (Hephaestus) increases attack by 20%.
- Beast Slayer (The Titans) increases attack against myth units by 50%.
- Bacchanalia (Dionysus) increases hit points by 5%.
Hetairoi are most notable for their large attack bonus against buildings, which makes them into a semi-siege unit. In small groups, they are able to destroy buildings then quickly make their escape, something that conventional siege units cannot hope to do. They also have good pierce armor, meaning they can be used against archers and siege weapons. In addition, if Beast Slayer is researched, Hetairoi can make an impact on Myth Units as well. This versatility, and their relative cheapness, makes Hetairoi a very viable option for Poseidon players in the Mythic Age.
Hetairoi are however slightly slower than other cavalry and have fewer hit points. They have a lower base attack than Hippikons, so they are not as good in general combat, especially against infantry.
"The nobility of Macedon prior to Philip and Alexander were the patriarchal heads of tribes and estates called the Hetairoi. They prided themselves on their horsemanship and made up one of the elite units in the Macedonian army, the king’s Companions. Without the benefit of a stirrup, these mounted spearmen were still very effective in battle. Alexander personally lead his Companions in several critical charges that won battles during his epic march of world conquest."—In-game history section
'Hetairoi' comes from the Greek ἑταῖροι, meaning 'companions'. This word is plural, and the technically correct name for this unit is the singular, 'hetairos' (or 'hetaeros').
- Despite historically being a lancer, the Hetairoi is represented as a mounted swordsman, though the history file correctly identifies them as a mounted spearman.
- Despite being the greatest cavalry of the Ancient World, the Hetairoi are weaker in attack and health than Hippikons.
The Titans Edit
- Hetairoi cost 55 food and 90 gold. Their base speed is 4.8.
Tale of the Dragon Edit
- With patch 2.7, Hetairoi base cost decreased to 45 food and 80 gold, base speed increased to 5.3.