|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II. For similar technologies in other games of the series, see Plow.|
Heavy Plow is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the Mill or at the Folwark (Poles only) once the Castle Age is reached. Once researched, it gives Farms +125 food (for a total of 375) and allows Villagers to carry +1 food.
Farms that are built before Heavy Plow is researched do not gain the food bonus. If the technology is completed while a Farm is being built, the food bonus applies to that Farm.
Crop Rotation is the further upgrade of this technology.
- Burgundians: Can research Heavy Plow in the Feudal Age. Heavy Plow costs -50% food.
- Chinese: Heavy Plow is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Franks: Heavy Plow is free.
- Portuguese: Researching Heavy Plow is 30% faster.
- Sicilians: Heavy Plow provides +250 food to Farms.
- Vietnamese: Heavy Plow costs .
Rise of the Rajas
- Vietnamese: Heavy Plow costs the regular price.
- Vietnamese: With update 35584, Heavy Plow costs no wood.
Lords of the West
|“||Following the implementation of the chest horse collar, the next important innovation for European farming was the heavy plow. This was a large wood and metal plow that could bite deep into the dense, rich soil deposited on the European plains following the last Ice Age. The heavy grasses in these areas defied previous attempts to plow. The heavy plow pulled behind strong horses bred for power broke open these soils. This opened vast tracks of land that proved very productive and greatly increased food production. Populations climbed as a result.||”|