|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II. For similar units in other games of the series, see Halberdier.|
|“|| Stronger than Pikeman. Medium infantry.|
—Age of Empires II description
The Halberdier is an infantry unit in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors that can be trained at the Barracks upon reaching the Imperial Age. An upgrade of the Pikeman, it has a huge attack bonus against cavalry, particularly elephants.
Halberdiers are weak against almost any units outside the cavalry class, but make up for it by being one of the cheapest military units in the game. Additionally, no gold is required to train them, making them "trash units".
The * indicates that the civilization can fully upgrade their Halberdiers, i.e. gets Blast Furnace, Plate Mail Armor, and Squires. Faith and Heresy are not taken into account because they only contribute to their combat strength in a very situational manner.
Like its predecessor, the Pikeman, the main purpose of the Halberdier is countering cavalry units. With 32, their attack bonus against cavalry is so huge that two Halberdiers can bring down even a Paladin. They can be paired with siege units and protect them from melee cavalry attacks. They become a lot more valuable in the late Imperial Age since at that time gold is usually running very low, often resulting in "trash wars". There, Halberdiers hold advantage against the Hussar, the Magyar Huszar, and they even are valuable against Skirmishers despite the fact that Skirmishers deal bonus damage to them, because they have a minimum range the Halberdiers can exploit. Genitours also receive huge bonus damage from Halberdiers, but they can hit-and-run them, probably making them the best choice against Halberdiers in trash wars.
Halberdiers need to be massed in order to be effective, but they are cost effective against all cavalry units, even Cataphracts. Ranged cavalry like Cavalry Archers or certain unique units like the Mameluke can handle them, though, when micromanaged properly.
Further statistics Edit
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Weak vs.||Archers, Scorpions, Hand Cannoneers, Janissaries, Monks, infantry, Slingers|
|Attack|| Forging (+1)|
Iron Casting (+1)
Blast Furnace (+2)
Arson (+2 attack against standard buildings)
Druzhina (Slavs only, gives trample damage)
|Armor|| Scale Mail Armor (+1/+1)|
Chain Mail Armor (+1/+1)
Plate Mail Armor (+1/+2)
Tower Shields (+1 Pierce Armor, Lithuanians only)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed|| Conscription (+33%)|
Perfusion (+100%, Goths only)
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Burmese: Halberdiers have +3 attack. Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Byzantines: Halberdiers are 25% cheaper.
- Celts: Halberdiers move 15% faster. Halberdiers can convert herdables even if enemy units are next to them.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Halberdiers are 20% cheaper.
- Goths: Halberdiers are 35% cheaper and have +1 attack against standard buildings. With Perfusion researched, researching Tracking, Squires, and Arson is 100% faster.
- Japanese: Halberdiers attack 33% faster.
- Lithuanians : Halberdiers move 10% faster.
- Koreans: Halberdiers cost 15% less wood.
- Magyars: Forging, Iron Casting, and Blast Furnace are free.
- Slavs: Tracking is free.
- Spanish: Blacksmith upgrades that benefit Halberdiers don't cost gold.
- Vietnamese: Conscription is free.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, researching Conscription is 25% faster.
- A team containing Goths: Halberdiers are created 20% faster. Researching Tracking, Squires, and Arson is 20% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Halberdiers are more resistant to conversion.
- A team containing Lithuanians: Researching Heresy and Faith is 20% faster.
- A team containing Bulgarians: Researching infantry armor and attack upgrades at the Blacksmith is 50% faster.
The Conquerors Edit
- Halberdiers have +16 attack against camel units and ships.
- Franks: On release, cannot train Halberdiers. With patch 1.0c, it was added to their technology tree.
The Forgotten Edit
- Halberdiers now have +17 attack against camel units and ships.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Arson introduced.
- Malians: On release, can train Halberdiers. With patch 4.8, it is removed from their technology tree.
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- With patch 5.7, Halberdiers deal +26 damage against camel units.
- With patch 5.8, Halberdiers gain +16 attack against the new Mameluke armor class, effectively making them deal 5 damage less to Mamelukes due to changes of the unit's armor class system.
Definitive Edition Edit
- Koreans: Halberdier costs -15% wood.
- Halberdiers -5 attack vs Mameluke armor class (from +16 to +11).
- Tracking removed; all infantry receive +2 LOS upon reaching the Feudal Age.
- The Spearmen line units are the cheapest of all military units, tied with the Skirmisher line, costing only 60 resources and no gold.
- Halberdiers deal bonus damage against the cheat unit Saboteur (since The Conquerors) because it is in the same unit class as ships.
- The Spearman line units are the only trash units and also only common infantry units that don't have any base pierce armor.
|“||The Halberd was a pike weapon invented in the Middle Ages for use against armored men, especially on horseback. It consisted of a six-foot shaft with an axe head at the front, a spear point at the top, and thin point at the rear. The spear was used to ward off cavalry. The thin rear point could be chopped down on an armored man to penetrate the strongest armor. The axe head brought down with both hands could chop through armor, arms, and helmets. Wielding the Halberd left the soldier exposed momentarily, so it was best used in formation with other men at hand for protection.||”|