Although they were added with Age of Mythology: Tale of the Dragon, the Golem is hidden, to re-enable the Golem for Scenario Editor usage, one must look for and remove the <flag>NotPlayerPlaceable</flag> under its definition in the Proto XML file.
- Oracle (Apollo): Increases LOS by 6.
- Bacchanalia (Dionysus): Increases hit points by 5%.
- Monstrous Rage (Hera): Increases attack by 25%.
- Thurisaz Rune (Bragi): increases movement speed by 12%.
- Mythic Rejuvenation (Hekate): Regenerates 2.0 HP/second.
- Eyes of Atlas (Atlas): Increases LOS by 9.
According to Greg Street, the lead designer for Age of Mythology who responded to a thread about the Golem (called Stone Giant in the Thread) in the Age of Mythology Heaven forums:
"That guy is gone. We didn't really like him. The niche was filled by a similar unit."— Greg Street, Lead Designer
That unit that replaced the golem would eventually be revealed to be the Colossus.
- The Proto code for the original Golem was adapted to create the Colossus.
- A common misconception is that the Golem was a Norse Rock Giant, however its model names using 'G' (referring to Greek) and appearances in Greek-related pre-release screenshots reveals it was Greek.
- In addition to this, it was also claimed the Golem was turned into the Frost Giant despite the Frost Giant already existing before the Golem was removed.
- The technology Granite Blood was originally created for the Golem. After it was removed, it was given to the giants.
- The new Golem has the same stats as the Minotaur albeit with decreased speed.