|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in Age of Mythology, see Fortified Wall (Age of Mythology).|
|“||Stronger than Stone Wall. Difficult to breach without siege weapons.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
Tactics and placement[edit | edit source]
When Fortified Walls are built around the outside of a town, it makes the town very difficult to attack, as any attacking units will have to destroy a piece of the Wall before it can attack any of the other buildings, and it offers a warning to the town that their opponents are attacking.
Fortified Walls are essential when performing a turtling strategy, as they help the player to gain some time to train own units and strengthen the fortification. Also, they provide defense for friendly ranged units and buildings that can attack the enemy units from behind the wall without taking any retaliation from non-ranged units.
Walls should be placed in strategic points or surround and protect the player's settlements, preferably at a little distance from important buildings like Town Centers to prevent enemy siege weapons to attack these buildings from behind the wall. When placing a wall, the player can take advantage of the terrain. For example, placing them next to forests and cliffs helps to enclose an area as well while precious stone is saved. The support of towers and Castles is highly valuable, especially in major choke points as the walls only serve as a blocking building and cannot attack. Placing Gates is also important to increase the efficiency of defensive structures as the Gate allows friendly units to pass through the wall while impeding enemy units to enter the walled area.
Having units like archers and ranged siege weapons behind a wall can prove to be a highly efficient way to defend an important location as well, also the support of fast moving melee units like cavalry is worth noting as the cavalry can manage to destroy enemy siege units that may destroy the walls.
If the player seeks a victory through a Wonder or Relics, Fortified Walls become a vital part of the defense as they will help to block the access to the Wonder or the Monasteries holding Relics as well as the usual elements of a player settlement.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Weak vs.||Everything except Monks|
|Hit points||Great Wall (+30%, Chinese only)|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Byzantines: Fortified Walls have +30%/+40% HP in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Chinese: Researching Fortified Walls and technologies that benefit Fortified Walls is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Incas: Fortified Walls are 15% cheaper (they actually cost 4 stone, 2 if teamed with Mayans).
- Italians: Researching Fortified Walls and Treadmill Crane is 33% cheaper.
- Portuguese: Researching Fortified Walls and Treadmill Crane is 30% faster.
- Spanish: Fortified Walls are built 30% faster.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Malians: Researching Fortified Walls and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Mayans: Fortified Walls are 50% cheaper (rounded up to 3 stone per segment).
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Age of Kings[edit | edit source]
- Fortified Walls take 8 seconds to build.
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- Fortified Walls now take 10 seconds to build.
- Chinese: Great Wall introduced.
- Koreans: Fortified Walls are now built 33% faster.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Koreans: With patch 4.8, the faster-built fortification bonus now properly affects Fortified Walls.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Koreans: Fortified Walls are no longer built faster.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||The fortified wall was an upgrade of the stone wall accomplished by building fighting positions into the wall so that defenders could be more effective in repulsing assaults. Strong points and bastions allowed defenders to shoot at enemies at the base of wall, where they might otherwise be safe. The three lines of stone walls outside Constantinople were fortified with hundreds of towers, helping to make the defenses impregnable until the advent of cannon.||”|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economic||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost · Donjon|
|Tower||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Wall||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|