In The African Kingdoms all Fortified Towers have the African building style regardless of civilization assigned in the Editor, but in Rise of the Rajas a second sprite is introduced that is unique to the Southeast Asian style. In the Definitive Edition, the appearance of the Fortified Tower varies with every building style.
Campaign appearances Edit
- Sundjata: Fortified Towers appear in the last scenario. They are owned by the enemy and present in the sea between the player and Koumbi Saleh, as well as the coastline of the latter. The Fortified Towers cannot be outranged by the player, even when using Cannon Galleons.
- Suryavarman I: In the second scenario, they are found in some (but not all) enemy camps, and have to be destroyed as a trigger to convert the rebels to the player's side.
- Gajah Mada: In the fourth scenario, belonging to the Kingdom of Luwu (yellow player).
- Prithviraj : In The Digvijaya , belonging to the Naga People (green player).
- Though Fortified Towers seem to occupy 2×2 tiles, they actually occupy 1×1 like other towers.
- In the Definitive Edition, the Western European version of the Fortified Tower has the same appearance as The Tower of Flies and The Accursed Tower.
- The statues at the entrance of the East and Southeast Asian Fortified Towers are Chinese Guardian Lions (Shī), also called Foo Dogs or Lion Dogs in the West. They were traditionally built at the entrance of government buildings and the houses of the wealthy, and were said to have protective qualities. This custom was imported from India, where lions were used as a symbol of power, along with Buddhism (lions are not native to East Asia).
|Unconstructable buildings in Age of Empires II|
|The Age of Kings|
|Cathedral · City Wall · Dome of the Rock · Fortress · Great Pyramid · Mosque · Pavilion · Pyramid · The Accursed Tower · The Tower of Flies · Trade Workshop · Yurt|
|Monument · Sea Gate · Sea Tower · Sea Wall|
|Amphitheatre · Aqueduct · Arch of Constantine · Colosseum · Fire Tower · Fortified Palisade Wall · Gol Gumbaz · Poenari Castle · Quimper Cathedral · Temple of Heaven|
|The African Kingdoms|
|Barricade · Fence · Granary · Hut · Palace · Sea Fortification · Storage · Tent|
|Rise of the Rajas|
|Army Tent · Sanchi Stupa|
|Aachen Cathedral · Rock Church|