The Flying Dutchman is a cheat unit in Age of Empires. When Flying Dutchman is typed in the chat menu, it will immediately transform all Juggernaughts and Catapult Triremes on the map into Flying Dutchmen. Flying Dutchmen are more powerful, with the extra ability to sail on the ground. If used effectively, the Flying Dutchman can be an effective hit and run siege weapon, since it can outrun most kinds of infantry and slower units. The Flying Dutchman is also available in the Scenario Editor.
- Typing the cheat code after researching these technologies does not have any effect to the Flying Dutchman.
- Use this cheat with caution since the increased fire rate of Phoenician Juggernaughts is eliminated once this cheat is summoned.
- If played as the Yamato, the hit points for this unit is increased by .
- If played as the Minoans, the cost per unit decreases by 33%.
- The Flying Dutchman is a reference to a nautical folklore. This mythical phantom ship is believed to be a sign of doom to sailors since it is cursed to sail the seas for eternity and can never rest at port.
- The myth about the Flying Dutchman originates from ship lost in the 17th-century, which is not during the time period in which Age of Empires is set.
|Cheat units in the Age of Empires series|
|Age of Empires|
|Baby Prez · Big Bertha · Black Rider · Flying Dutchman · Medusa · Nuke Trooper · Photon Man · St. Francis |
Stealth Archer · Stormbilly · Winsett's other Z · Winsett's Z
|Age of Empires II|
|Alfred the Alpaca · Cobra Car · Furious the Monkey Boy · Penguin · Saboteur · VMDL · Sharkatzor · Photon Man|
|Age of Mythology|
|Bella · Flying Purple Hippo · Forkboy · Lazer Bear|
|Age of Empires III|
|BigAndy · Fluffy · Flying Purple Tapir · George Crushington · Flaming Hot Dog Cart · Monster Ice Cream Truck · Lazerbear|
Learicorn · Mediocre Bombard · The Tommynator