Fletching is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the Blacksmith. Once researched, it increases the range and attack of units and buildings that attack with arrows, most notably archers, Castles, and towers, by +1. Town Centers receive +1 attack and Line of Sight, but no range bonus.
Bodkin Arrow is the further upgrade of this technology.
As this technology improves defensive buildings, including the attack per arrow of Town Centers, it is almost guaranteed to be useful as protection against an enemy raid – even if the player is not attempting an archer-focused strategy. When villagers are garrisoned, higher damage arrows will significantly reduce the effect of enemy armour, which may increase the damage they deal.
Offensively it also benefits players performing a Feudal Archer rush. Apart from the increased damage scaling well for every extra unit, extra range will keep the archers safer and enable them to pick off more fleeing units.
- Bulgarians: Fletching costs 50% less food.
- Chinese: Fletching is 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Fletching is 30% faster.
- Spanish: Fletching costs no gold.
- A team containing Bulgarians: Researching Fletching is faster.
|“||The provision of feathers or other wind foils at the rear of an arrow was called fletching and this innovation improved the stability of an arrow in flight. Fletching increased the range and accuracy of the arrow. Wellmade arrows were essential to the success and effectiveness of archers.||”|
- Bulgarians: Initially, Blacksmiths work 50% faster. With update 42848, Blacksmiths work 80% faster.
- Bulgarians: With update 42848, Blacksmith technologies cost 50% less food.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are researched 30% faster.