|“||Powerful Elephant from India that swings a mace for area damage. Good against buildings.||”|
The Flail Elephant is a melee heavy siege cavalry in Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties that is unique to the Indians and can be trained at the Castle once the Commerce Age is reached, and the Agra Fort wonder once it is upgraded to Red Fort. It excels at taking down buildings.
Overview[edit | edit source]
The Flail Elephant has a rapid siege attack, and a massive ranged resistance and can demolish buildings in seconds, but is fairly poor in combat, largely due to its low speed and vulnerability to heavy infantry and ranged cavalry.
Flail Elephants are very effective at taking out buildings such as Forts and Town Centers incredibly quickly, sometimes before the enemy is able to react. They are capable of dealing with artillery extremely effectively, if they are able to reach it; they are the only Indian heavy cavalry that has a multiplier against cannon and all of them share the trait of having low base damage. Thus, Flail Elephants can somewhat fill this weakness.
After "Professional Handlers" has been shipped, Flail Elephants become very population-effective damage sponges. As Mahout Lancers are quite easy to focus down (as well as expensive), and Sowars are quite fragile, Flail Elephants can offer a middle ground option to soak up ranged infantry fire to protect a player's ranged units. This is especially important for the Indians because they lack a massable artillery piece. Flail Elephants don't do a large amount of damage, but can supplement armies as a tank unit and anti-artillery without taking too much population space.
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
|Disciplined Flail Elephant||200 wood,
|Upgrades Flail Elephants to Disciplined (+20% hit points and attack)|
|Honored Flail Elephant||600 wood,
|Upgrades Flail Elephants to Honored (+30% hit points and attack); requires Disciplined Flail Elephant|
|Exalted Flail Elephant||1,500 wood,
|Upgrades Flail Elephants to Exalted (+50% hit points and attack); requires Honored Flail Elephant|
Mansabdar Flail Elephant[edit | edit source]
|“||Inspires all nearby Flail Elephants. Powerful Elephant from India that swings a mace. Good against buildings.||”|
The Mansabdar Flail Elephant is a stronger version of the Flail Elephant that can be trained from the Charminar Gate wonder. As a Mansabdar unit, the Mansabdar Flail Elephant has twice the hit points of a Flail Elephant and Imperial Service that increases the hit points and attack of nearby Flail Elephants, but are two times more expensive.
Special ability[edit | edit source]
- Imperial Service (passive): The Mansabdar Flail Elephant increases the hit points and attack of Flail Elephants in a radius of 24 around them by 10%.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Weak vs.||Heavy infantry, cavalry, artillery|
|Hit points|| Comanche Horse Breeding (+10%)|
Cree Tanning (+5%)
Navajo Weaving (+5%)
|Speed|| Comanche Mustangs (+10%)|
Apache Endurance (+5%)
|Creation speed|| Terror Charge (-20%)|
Cheyenne Horse Trading (-25%)
Incan Chasquis Messengers (-25%)
|Train cost||Mapuche Ad-mapu (-10% coin cost)|
|Other||Meritocracy (-20% upgrade cost)|
Home City Cards[edit | edit source]
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the (Mansabdar) Flail Elephant|
Green: TEAM Shipment that is sent to each player in a team
All[edit | edit source]
Indians[edit | edit source]
Sioux[edit | edit source]
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Asian Dynasties[edit | edit source]
- Flail Elephants cost 4 population, have 5 attack, and give 30 XP when killed.
- Mansabdar Flail Elephants cost 8 population, have 5 attack, and give 60 XP when trained or killed.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Flail Elephants cost 3 population, have 10 attack, and give 25 XP when killed.
- Mansabdar Flail Elephants cost 6 population, have 10 attack, and give 50 XP when trained or killed. With Update 20322, Mansabdar Flail Elephants cost 3 population.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Flail Elephant is the only hand siege unit, together with the Ram, and they are also the only two units with a siege RoF of 1.5.
- Besides the aura underneath it, the Mansabdar and Honor/Exalted Flail Elephant can be difficult to distinguish due to having the same identical features.
- The Dravidian Martial Arts card boosts their siege damage by 15%, not just their melee attack.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Although there are few accounts to substantiate its existence, the flail elephant was said to have been a cavalry and siege unit fielded with the early armies of Sri Lanka. It would enter battle whirling a heavy iron chain that had been affixed to its trunk, becoming both a terrifying and entirely unapproachable force.||”|