|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II. For other uses of the term, see Fishing Ship.|
|“||Gathers food from jumping fish and Fish Traps.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
The Fishing Ship is an economic ship in Age of Empires II that can be trained at the Dock. It is a basic resource gatherer. Unlike its counterpart in Age of Empires, the Fishing Ship cannot be upgraded.
The Fishing Ship can build Fish Traps which are similar to Farms on water. Fish Traps take longer to build, but hold more food. Fishing Ships gather food faster from normal fish than from Fish Traps. Fishing Ships gathering food from normal fish have around the same gathering rate as those of fishing or farming Villagers.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Working speed||Gillnets (+25%)|
|Armor|| Careening (+0/+1)|
Carrack (+1/+1, Portuguese only)
|Speed||Dry Dock (+15%)|
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed||Shipwright (+54%)|
|Train cost||Shipwright (-20% wood)|
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Berbers: Fishing Ships move 10% faster.
- Burgundians: Gillnets can be researched in the Feudal Age.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Celts: Fishing Ships can convert herdables even if enemy units are next to them.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Fishing Ships are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: Fishing Ships . Researching Gillnets, Careening, Dry Dock, and Shipwright is 33% cheaper.
- Japanese: Fishing Ships have double HP and +2 pierce armor. Fishing Ships work 5%/10%/15%/20% faster in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Persians: Fishing Ships are created 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Careening and Gillnets are researched 15%/20% faster in the Castle/Imperial Age. Researching Dry Dock is 20% faster.
- Portuguese: Fishing Ships have +10% HP. Researching technologies that benefit Fishing Ships is 30% faster.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Teutons: Fishing Ships are more resistant to conversion.
- A team containing Lithuanians: Researching Heresy and Faith is 20% faster.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Age of Kings[edit | edit source]
- Fishing Ships can construct buildings, if the construction site was initiated by a Villager and lies at a shore.
- Fishing Ships are in the ship armor class.
- Shipwright reduces the wood cost by 20%.
The Conquerors[edit | edit source]
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- Fishing Ships can no longer build buildings.
- Gillnets introduced.
- Italians: Fishing Ships have +2 LOS.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Italians: With patch 4.8, Fishing Ships are now 33% cheaper instead of having an increased LOS.
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- With patch 5.8, Fishing Ships are assigned their own new fishing ship armor class while the ship armor class was removed.
- Italians: With patch 5.5, Fishing Ships are now 20% cheaper.
- Italians: With patch 5.8, Fishing Ships are now 15% cheaper.
- Malay: Initially, Fishing Ships are 33% cheaper. With path 5.3, that bonus is removed.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Persians: With the release version, Fishing Ships are created 5% faster in the Dark Age. With update 36906, the creation speed is restored to normal.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||The technology of shipbuilding, sailing, and navigation improved substantially during the Middle Ages. One result of these advances was a greater range and efficiency for Fishing Ships. The rich waters off the coasts of Europe, North Africa, and Asia provided a bounty of seafood that could be preserved by drying and salting. Preserved fish, especially cod, became an important trade good in the late Middle Ages.||”|