Fabric Shields (called Couriers before the Definitive Edition) is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Forgotten that is unique to the Incas and can be researched at the Castle once the Imperial Age is reached. Once researched, it gives Kamayuks, Slingers, and Eagle Warriors .
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Fabric Shields is always worth getting, as it greatly increases the durability of all of the three Inca units who form the core of any well-organized Inca army. It should be treated as a Blacksmith upgrade, and considering its cost, it should be researched after Plate Mail Armor and Ring Archer Armor, since its cost is higher than both Blacksmith technologies combined.
Also in The Forgotten, where Fabric Shields gives speed instead of armor, researching it is a must, since it increases the fighting abilities of all affected units at a low cost.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- The technology is called Couriers.
- Couriers gives Eagles, Kamayuks, and Slingers +10% speed.
- Couriers costs 400 food and 200 gold.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Couriers now gives +1/+2 armor instead of +10% movement speed.
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Couriers renamed Fabric Shields.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to The African Kingdoms, Couriers gives additional speed to three different Incas units. This is probably inspired from chasquis, the runners in Inca Empire who were known for their ability to travel at long distance to deliver messages.
- The Hualcana (Inca shield) was made of light wood lined with leather, possessing a cloth border and fringes, the cloth could be made of cotton or lamini wool that protected the legs from missiles without sacrificing the mobility of the soldiers. Inca soldiers also had an additional, larger shields on their backs.