|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors. For the related unit in Age of Empires III, see Eagle Runner Knight.|
"Stronger than Eagle Warrior. Fast infantry with extensive sight."—Age of Empires II description
The Elite Eagle Warrior is a Native American infantry unit in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors that can be trained at the Barracks once the Imperial Age is reached. The Elite Eagle Warrior is the final tier in the Eagle line. They replace the cavalry for their civilizations.
Elite Eagle Warriors move quickly, have a long Line of Sight, conversion resistance, and an attack bonus against Monks. They also have an attack bonus against siege weapons and a small anti-cavalry bonus, however, almost every other infantry unit deals bonus damage against Eagle Warriors. Essentially, they help compensate for the Aztecs', Mayans', and Incas' lack of cavalry.
All of the three Native American civilizations have a distinctive buff for Eagle Warriors that comes from one of their unique technologies. Because of this, each of the three civilizations can use Elite Eagle Warriors in a different way.
The Aztec Garland Wars technology provides +4 attack, making them better raiders, striking down an enemy Villagers with just three hits. They are a good counter to archers, cavalry, and Monks. Due to their weakness against other infantry, they are sometimes paired with the Aztec' infantry destroyer, the Jaguar Warrior, or Arbalests if Crossbowmen were used in the Castle Age.
In The Forgotten, Incas Couriers gave +10% more movement speed to the Eagle Warrior and their unique units (Kamayuk and Slinger). Incan Eagle Warriors were arguably the worst of the three since the only buff they received was a little speed, but this speed bonus could be very helpful when an Incan player tries to raid a town or tries to perform hit-and-run tactics. This was changed in The African Kingdoms, where Couriers gives extra armor (+1/+2) to the Eagle Warrior and their two unique units now. With Couriers in The African Kingdoms, Eagle Warriors are as resistant against arrow fire as Huskarls, making them even better against archers. Incan Eagle Warriors are usually paired with both Kamayuks and Slingers to counter cavalry and infantry, respectively.
The Mayan unique technology El Dorado provides +40 hit points, making them more durable and therefore valuable in pitched battles. Pairing them with Plumed Archers works well since the Plumed Archer is a counter for infantry units that can put the Eagle Warrior in danger. Also, the Plumed Archer sits in a similar speed tier, meaning the two units work very well together.
Further statistics Edit
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Archers, siege weapons, Monks|
|Weak vs.||Cataphracts, Boyars, Hand Cannoneers, Janissaries, infantry, Slingers|
|Hit points||El Dorado (+40, Mayans only)|
|Attack|| Forging (+1)|
Iron Casting (+1)
Blast Furnace (+2)
Arson (+2 attack against standard buildings)
Garland Wars (+4, Aztecs only)
|Armor|| Scale Mail Armor (+1/+1)|
Chain Mail Armor (+1/+1)
Plate Mail Armor (+1/+2)
Couriers (+1/+2, Incas only since The African Kingdoms)
|Speed|| Squires (+10%)|
Couriers (+10%, Incas only in The Forgotten)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed||Conscription (+33%)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Elite Eagle Warriors are created 18% faster.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, researching Conscription, El Dorado, Garland Wars, and Couriers is 25% faster.
- A team containing Goths: Elite Eagle Warriors are created 20% faster. Researching Tracking, Squires, and Arson is 20% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Elite Eagle Warriors are more resistant to conversion.
The Forgotten Edit
- Elite Eagle Warriors reskinned.
- Elite Eagle Warriors have +2 attack against camel units.
- Incas: Couriers gives Elite Eagle Warriors +10% movement speed.
The African Kingdoms Edit
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- With patch 5.7, Elite Eagle Warriors now have +3 attack against camels units.
- The three Eagle units are the only infantry units to cost more gold than food and, in terms of gold, are the most expensive infantry units in the game. In terms of food, however, they are by far the cheapest infantry in the game.
- Eagle Scouts deal bonus damage against the cheat unit Saboteur because it is in the same unit class as ships.
- Incan Elite Eagle Warriors are tied with fully-upgraded Rattan Archers and Huskarls for the most pierce armor of any foot soldier in the game (10 pierce armor). They all effectively counter archer units.
"The Aztecs prized fighting skills, and soldiers earned increased status in society through distinction in combat and promotion in rank. One of the higher ranks was that of Eagle Warrior. These fighters wore great colorful headdresses made of eagle feathers and costumes that enhanced their military bearing. Because they were lightly armored and unencumbered, they were able to move quickly. They were the fast, light troops of the Aztec armies, quickly pouncing on enemies. However, they proved to be at a great disadvantage in combat against Europeans wearing steel armor and using steel weapons.
The best of the Eagle warriors were promoted to Elite status. These were the champions of the Eagle Warrior formations and led the attempts to disable and capture enemies."