Bow Saw is the further upgrade of this technology.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Double-Bit Axe has been referred to as one of the most important upgrades in the game. Wood is a vital resource used for most purchases in the game (from Farms, to archers, most economic upgrades, and other buildings) and increasing the gather rate for this resource essentially affects the player's whole economy, allowing them to purchase more of everything available to them.
While this upgrade does not provide any direct improvement to a player's power (perhaps like increasing in Age might provide civilization bonuses), due to its relatively low expense and high long-term benefit it is researched as soon as it can be fitted in. At the time period when it becomes available, no additional Town Centers can be built, so there are usually not enough Villagers available to completely satisfy the player's resource needs. Double-Bit Axe can push the player towards even bigger armies or a surplus of resources. Alternatively, it can allow Villagers to be redistributed to other resources of strategic priority while still allowing enough wood to be collected to sustain the player's Farms.
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Burmese: Double-Bit Axe is free.
- Chinese: Double-Bit Axe is 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Double-Bit Axe is 30% faster.
- Vietnamese: Double-Bit Axe costs .
Changelog[edit | edit source]
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- Vietnamese: Double-Bit Axe costs the regular price.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Vietnamese: With update 35584, Double-Bit Axe costs no wood.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are researched 30% faster.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||The double-bit axe had blades, or bits, on both sides. It was a large, heavy axe that speeded the cutting of trees. With two cutting edges, woodcutters could switch bits when one became dull and then sharpen both at the same time. Cutters worked faster and more efficiently with the double-bit axe.||”|
References[edit | edit source]
- AoE2: Understanding Economic Upgrades. Harvest Build Destroy. Published 23 Nov 2017. Accessed 11 November 2019