The Dome of the Rock is an unconstructable building in Age of Empires II. It is a decorative structure without actual function in-game that appears only in some campaigns and the Scenario Editor (under the Other tab). The Dome of the Rock is the only building that can regenerate.
The Dome of the Rock appears in the following campaign scenarios.
- The Siege of Jerusalem: There is a Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem which must not be destroyed.
- The Emperor Sleeping: There is a Dome of the Rock in the south in Jerusalem, which the Emperor in a Barrel must reach. The destruction of the Dome will also trigger the player's defeat.
- Before Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, the squared terrain around the Dome was sandy, not transparent like in other buildings.
- The dome's color is anachronistic, as it was not gilded until 1963 in reality. Previously the dome was covered in black lead.
- During Crusader rule, the Dome of the Rock was converted into a church, and its shape inspired the round churches built by the Templar Knights in Europe.
|Unconstructable buildings in Age of Empires II|
|The Age of Kings|
|Bridge · Cathedral · Dome of the Rock · Great Pyramid · Mosque · Pavilion · Pyramid · The Accursed Tower · Sea Gate · Sea Tower · Sea Wall · The Tower of Flies · Trade Workshop · Yurt|
|Amphitheatre · Aqueduct · Arch of Constantine · City Wall · Colosseum · Fire Tower · Fortified Palisade Wall · Fortress · Gol Gumbaz · Poenari Castle · Quimper Cathedral · Temple of Heaven · Wooden Bridge|
|The African Kingdoms|
|Barricade · Fence · Granary · Hut · Palace · Sea Fortification · Storage · Tent|
|Rise of the Rajas|
|Army Tent · Sanchi Stupa|
|The Last Khans (Definitive Edition)|
|Aachen Cathedral · Chain · City Gate · Dormition Cathedral · Rock Church · Sankore Madrasah · Shrine · Tower of London|