|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in other games of the series, see Dock.|
|“||Used to build and improve ships, deposit food from Fishing Ships, and trade with other players by sea.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
- 1 Tactics and placement
- 2 Trade
- 3 Trainable units and technologies
- 4 Availability grid
- 5 Further statistics
- 6 Civilization bonuses
- 7 Team bonuses
- 8 Changelog
- 9 History
- 10 Gallery
Tactics and placement[edit | edit source]
Docks serve for both economy and naval warfare as they produce all kinds of vessels while also being a drop site for the Fishing Ships, and Trade Cogs. They must be used depending the kind of map of the game.
When playing on maps like Archipelago and Islands it is absolutely necessary to build Docks and give them an extensive use since most of the action will occur on the seas. It is recommended to build at least one (preferably two) Docks in the Dark Age already in order to boost the economy with the production of Fishing Ships.
On maps like Coastal, Baltic, and Continental with important water bodies but where the settlements aren't separated by water, the use of Docks can make a huge difference in many situations while still be important for boosting economy early in the game, but are not always necessary. On these maps the naval units are mostly used to support the land army and for dealing with enemy buildings near the shoreline.
On maps like Rivers, Highland, or others that feature rivers and/or lakes, Docks become part of the defensive structures as the rivers and lakes represent a barrier for land troops, and in this case using the naval units becomes more helpful to aid fortifications near the shoreline and the shallows which in this kind of maps are the only narrow points usable for land troops in order to cross rivers.
Often it is useful to place towers and Castles near the Docks as these buildings will effectively protect the Docks from enemy ships. It is also recommended to place the Dock in bays or gulfs as this makes it more difficult for enemy ships to reach the Dock. Also, the Docks can be easier defended that way.
Docks may only be built in shallow water or on shallows, next to the coast.
Trade[edit | edit source]
When establishing a water trade route, Trade Cogs will leave for any Dock (ally, neutral, or enemy) and will return with gold. They will always travel to the closest Dock, friend or foe alike. The amount of gold they return depends on the length of the trade route. In team games on maps like Archipelago or Islands the naval trade routes are vital. So it is important to know which Docks are better defended from enemy ships in order to protect the Trade Cogs and establish secure and continuous trade routes.
Trainable units and technologies[edit | edit source]
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
Availability grid[edit | edit source]
The following table shows the availability of the units and technologies for every civilization. Unique units and units and technologies that are available to all civilizations are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all units and technologies are available.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Work rate||Shipwright ( )|
|Upgrades||Harbor (requires Thalassocracy, Malay only)|
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Aztecs: Military Dock units are created faster.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Byzantines: Docks have +10%/+20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch is free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Docks and Dock technologies are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: Dock technologies are 50% cheaper. Fishing Ships cost . Cannon Galleons are cheaper.
- Malians: Docks are 15% cheaper.
- Persians: Docks have double hit points and work 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Researching Town Watch and Town Patrol is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: All ships cost -15% gold.
- Spanish: Docks are built 30% faster.
- Turks: The Cannon Galleon technology is 50% cheaper.
- Vikings: Warships are cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Malay: Docks have +100% Line of Sight.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Vikings: Docks are cheaper.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Age of Kings[edit | edit source]
The Conquerors[edit | edit source]
- Heresy introduced.
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- Trade Cogs generate +10% gold.
- Gillnets introduced.
- Italians: Cannon Galleons are 15% cheaper.
- Vikings: Warships are now 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- A team containing Vikings: Docks are now 15% cheaper.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Trade Cogs generate +30% gold.
- Fire Galley introduced.
- Demolition Raft introduced.
- Italians: With patch 4.8, Fishing Ships and Cannon Galleons are now 33% and 20% cheaper, respectively.
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- Italians: With patch 5.5, Fishing Ships are now 20% cheaper.
- Italians: With patch 5.8, Fishing Ships are now 15% cheaper.
- Malay: Initially, Fishing Ships are 33% cheaper. With path 5.3, that bonus is removed.
- Vikings: Warships are now 15%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Fish Traps can be queued .
- Docks now have the automatic reseed button for Fish Traps.
- Persians: Docks work 5% faster in the Dark Age. With update 36906, workrate in the Dark Age is restored to normal.
- With update 36906: Docks are dropsites for Fishermen.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||The emergence of deep-draft merchant ships led to the construction of docks where these ships could tie up and unload. Ships of this new design could not be dragged ashore easily for unloading. Associated with docks were the shipyards where ships were built.||”|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economic||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost|
|Tower||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Wall||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|