|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II. For other uses of the term, see Coinage.|
Coinage is a technology in Age of Empires II available at the Market upon reaching the . Once researched, it reduces the tribute fee from 30% to 20%. Coinage comes in handy if players intend to send resources to other players.
Banking is the further upgrade of this technology.
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Chinese: Coinage is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Coinage is 30% faster.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Age of Kings[edit | edit source]
- Coinage costs 150F/50G.
- Coinage takes 50 seconds to research.
- Coinage becomes available in the Feudal Age.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Coinage costs 200F/100G.
- Coinage takes 70 seconds to research.
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- With patch 5.8, Coinage now becomes available in the Castle Age.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Definitive Edition, the icon of the technology says "Forgotten Empires Rex", an obvious reference to the Forgotten Empires team.
- Coinage is a cheat code in Age Of Empires (provides 1,000 gold).
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Money degraded during the Dark Ages in Western Europe because the barbarian tribes that took control were largely illiterate and had no system of government that could administer the making of coins. Those coins that exist from this era are very crude copies of Roman coins and usually of low-value metals. The rise of Charlemagne’s empire and other strong kings created the stable administrations that could successfully provide coinage. A stable and available supply of money was a great boost to economic growth. The most useful European coins were silver pennies, roughly the size of the modern U.S. 10-cent piece, and smaller denominations made of copper and bronze.||”|