Many players use a clubman for exploring the map during Stone Age.
- Toolworking: Increases attack by 2 points.
- Leather Armor Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Battle Axe: Upgrades Clubmen into Axemen.
- Metalworking: Increases attack by 2 points.
- Scale Armor Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Bronze Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Logistics: Decreases population usage by 1/2.
- Metallurgy: Increases attack by 3 points.
- Chain Mail Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Iron Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Tower Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Macedonians: Clubmen have +2 line of sight and are four times more resistant to conversion.
- Choson: Clubmen have 5 HP
"The first soldiers were local people called up for military duty in times of emergency. These temporary soldiers were commonly armed with any weapon used for hunting game and other wildlife. A common development of these weapons were wooden spears and large pieces of wood or bone. These tools were easily made since they could be crafted very easily and were an extension of weapons already used for hunting and gathering. Early troops that used these weapons were effective and needed minimum training. The club itself had very little practical use other than for combat against other humans since it was too slow and cumbersome to hunt game. These early fighters eventually became obsolete following the Neolithic Revolution, as better tools and toolworking became available. Some of these improvements included improved stoneworking and woodworking, and later the introduction of more advanced metal weapons made from bronze."—Age of Empires manual
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Navy||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|