|This article is about the civilizations in Age of Empires III. For the civilizations in the other games of the series, see Civilization.|
The playable civilizations of Age of Empires III number seventeen in total. In the single-player campaign and on most maps, they are complemented by native minor civilizations that can be accessed using Trading Posts.
Listed below are all civilizations and their specialties in Age of Empires III and its expansions.
- 1 Age of Empires III
- 2 The WarChiefs
- 3 The Asian Dynasties
- 4 Definitive Edition
- 5 Notes
Age of Empires III
- Civilization bonus: Build Manor Houses, which replace normal Houses and spawn Settlers. Good economy in early game and reliable backbone units — Musketeers and Hussars.
- Unique units: Longbowman, Rocket
- Royal Guard units: Redcoat Musketeer, King's Life Guard Hussar
- Home City: London
- See also: British Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Villagers cost coin, can build unique buildings called Banks which generate coins. Cheap, population-efficient but decent light cavalry — the Ruyter.
- Unique units: Envoy, Ruyter, Fluyt
- Royal Guard units: Stadswacht Halberdier, Carabineer Ruyter
- Home City: Amsterdam
- See also: Dutch Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Train Coureur des Bois instead of Settlers, which gather and fight better. Also has the strongest cavalry unit (excluding elephants) in the game — the Cuirassier.
- Unique units: Coureur des Bois, Cuirassier
- Royal Guard units: Gendarme Cuirassier, Voltigeur Skirmisher
- Home City: Paris
- See also: French Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Receive free Uhlans with every Home City shipment, has an extra type of Settler — Settler Wagons — which gathers and fights better, Mercenaries are available earlier and they have more shipment cards of them.
- Unique units: Uhlan, Settler Wagon, Doppelsoldner, War Wagon
- Royal Guard units: Needle Gunner Skirmisher, Czapka Uhlan
- Home City: Berlin
- See also: German Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Town Centers spawn Villagers for free. Has a wide variety of artillery units including the strongest one in game — the Great Bombard. Also has a reliable backbone infantry unit, the Janissary.
- Unique units: Imam, Abus Gun, Janissary, Spahi, Galley, Great Bombard
- Royal Guard units: Humbaraci Grenadier, Bostanci Hussar
- Home City: Istanbul
- See also: Ottoman Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Extra Covered Wagon for every Age advanced, Explorer has ability to use Spyglass, extra Explorers from Home City shipments.
- Unique units: Cassador, Organ Gun
- Royal Guard units: Legionario Musketeer, Jinete Dragoon
- Home City: Lisbon
- See also: Portuguese Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Villagers and infantry are trained in groups, cheap military units great for overwhelming other players with their large armies, has Blockhouses instead of Outposts and Barracks, which combines the functions of both.
- Unique units: Strelet, Cossack, Oprichnik
- Royal Guard units: Pavlov Grenadier, Tartar Cavalry Archer
- Home City: St. Petersburg
- See also: Russian Home City Cards
- Civilization bonuses: Experience points are earned faster. Home City shipments also arrive faster.
- Unique units: Lancer, Rodelero, Missionary, War Dog
- Royal Guard units: Garrochista Lancer, Espadachins Rodelero, Tercio Pikeman
- Home City: Seville
- See also: Spanish Home City Cards
- War Chief bonus: Doubles experience gained in combat by nearby units.
- Civilization bonus: Have Warrior Priests that can heal or count as two people at the Community Plaza. Start with one Warrior Priest. Except ordinary War Hut, Nobles' Hut also acts as a Blockhouse, but with a longer range.
- Home City: Tenochtitlan
- See also: Aztec Home City Cards
- War Chief bonus: Boosts hit points of nearby units.
- Civilization bonus: Have Travois, and start with one in the beginning of the game that can build most buildings for free. The Haudenosaunee also have a unique Founder Ceremony in the Community Plaza which spawns Travois.
- War Council: Caughnawaga
- See also: Haudenosaunee Home City Cards
- War Chief bonus: Boosts speed of nearby units.
- Civilization bonus: Start with 200 population capacity in the beginning of game. Have unique Teepees, which the player can only build up to ten (exception when a special card is sent) to provide a little health bonus to nearby friendly units.
- War Council: Hunkpapa
- See also: Lakota Home City Cards
The Asian Dynasties
All military units of The Asian Dynasties civilizations are unique, with the exceptions of Monitors and all Indian ships. Each Asian civilization builds Consulates to acquire alliance army shipments and bonuses, in addition to Wonders for advancing in Age.
- Civilization bonus: Have Villages instead of Houses which supports twice the population than the latter, and has migration cards that allow them to spawn one Villager at each Town Center and Village. Trains infantry and cavalry in groups called banner army. Only get one Monk at the start of the game, along with a Disciple.
- Home City: Beijing
- See also: Chinese Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Villagers cannot kill livestock for food, but can build unique buildings called Sacred Field which livestock can be stationed to generate XP. There are no Villager cards, but they receive free Villagers with every Home City shipments. All Villagers trained from the Town Center cost wood instead of food.
- Home City: Delhi
- See also: Indian Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Have Shrines, which replace normal Houses and generate resources. Villagers cannot hunt animals for food, but can build Shrines next to wild animals to increase the resource trickle rate. As a special advantage, most cards in the Japanese Home City may be sent twice.
- Home City: Edo
- See also: Japanese Home City Cards
- War Chief bonus: Boosts the hit points of nearby native warriors.
- Civilization bonus: Kancha Houses produce food. Recieves a free Chasqui each age who can construct Tambos; powerful Trading Posts which villagers can garrison in. Military units can garrison in Kallankas and Strongholds. Priestesses can convert enemies and work at the Community Plaza.
- Home City: Cuzco
- See also: Inca Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Torps gather nearby resources. Mercenary shipments are cheaper and arrive more quickly. Advanced improvement available at the Arsenal.
- Unique units: Carolean, Leather Cannon, Hakkapelit
- Royal Guard Units: Dalkarl Pikeman and Drabant Hakkapelit
- Home City: Stockholm
- See also: Swedish Home City Cards
- Civilization bonus: Can levy Minutemen at regular intervals. General builds Forts instead of Town Centers and can plant an Inspiring Flag that increases the attack of nearby military units and buildings and are trained/constructed faster. Ages up with Federal States instead of politicians.
- Unique units: General, Minuteman, State Militia, Regular, Sharpshooter, Carbine Cavalry, Gatling Gun, Quaker Gun, Gunslinger, Cowboy, Owlhoot, Sloop, Steamer, Ironclad
- Royal Guard Units: Volunteer State Militia
- Home City: Washington D.C.
- See also: United States Home City Cards
Multiple civilizations trick
Before the Definitive Edition, with single civilization limitations for AI personalities, it is possible to assign the same civilization to several AIs in single-player skirmish using the following trick:
- First choose the number of players and pick the civilization of the last AI;
- Then decrease by one the number of players and pick the civilization of the last slot again;
- Repeat until there are two players;
- Then put the number of players back to what it was originally; the slots will all contain the civilization that was chosen.
That was fixed in the Definitive Edition.