|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten. For the hero in Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, see Chieftain.|
Chieftains is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Forgotten that is unique to the Vikings and can be researched at the Castle. Once researched, it gives infantry an attack bonus of against cavalry and against camel units.
Apart from the Teutonic Knight, the Berserk is one of the most durable infantry units in the game. With Chieftains researched, they become even more versatile, as they can now counter even heavy cavalry units quite effectively. Archers, however, remain a heavy threat to them. Also, the effectiveness of Pikemen is increased, making it more forgiving that the Vikings lack the Halberdier.
- Chieftains costs 700 food, 400 gold.
- Chieftains gives Berserks +4 attack bonus against cavalry.
- Chieftains only affects Berserks.
The African Kingdoms
- Chieftains costs 400 food, 300 gold.
- Chieftains gives Berserks +5 attack bonus against cavalry.
- With patch 4.8, Chieftains now affects all infantry units and gives them additional +2 attack bonus against camels.
Rise of the Rajas
- With patch 5.7, Chieftains gives infantry +4 attack bonus against camels.
- Chieftains was also supposed to give Berserks additional +2 bonus damage against camels in The African Kingdoms but did not due to a bug. This bug was fixed in patch 4.8.