|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten. For the hero in Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, see Chieftain.|
Chieftains is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Forgotten that is unique to the Vikings and can be researched at the Castle. Once researched, it gives infantry an attack bonus of against cavalry and against camel units.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Apart from the Teutonic Knight, the Berserk is one of the most durable infantry units in the game. With Chieftains researched, they become even more versatile as they can now counter even heavy cavalry units quite effectively. Archers, however, remain a heavy threat to them. Also, the effectiveness of Pikemen is increased, making it more forgiving that the Vikings lack the Halberdier.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- Chieftains costs 700F/400G.
- Chieftains gives Berserks +4 attack against cavalry.
- Chieftains only affects Berserks.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Chieftains now costs 400F/300G.
- Chieftains now gives Berserks +5 attack against cavalry.
- With patch 4.8, Chieftains now affects all infantry units and gives them additional +2 attack against camels.
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- With patch 5.7, Chieftains now gives infantry +4 attack against camels.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- With update 42848, Chieftains now costs 700F/500G.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Chieftains was also supposed to give Berserks additional +2 bonus damage against camels in The African Kingdoms but did not due to a bug. This bug was fixed in patch 4.8.