|This article is about the cheat codes in Age of Empires. For cheat codes in other games of the series, see Cheat code.|
|This article needs an image for it to be complete. Please locate and insert one.|
To summon a cheat code, press Enter during the game and enter one of the following codes below. After that, press Enter again to initiate the cheat. The codes are not case sensitive. Cheats that summon units and provide free resources are repeatable but those that affect certain units only require a single input. Cheats can be repeated continuously through copy and pasting which allows the player to initiate the same effect with minimal effort. This can be done by pressing Ctrl C after typing it out then repeating the action of Ctrl V after pressing Enter. On older computers, players may need to right click and perform the task manually instead of using this shortcut method.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Cheat codes that summon new units will always spawn at the Town Center and likewise will not be applicable to players without one. If a player has more than one Town Center, the unit will spawn near the one that was most recently built, and will continue to spawn there unless a new one is built or the current one is destroyed. The act of summoning cheat units is similar to the act of training new units from the Town Center. Consequently, if the Town Center is researching a new Age, the cheat unit cannot be spawned.
Cheats that affect certain units does not apply to enemy units converted by the player. To maximize combat potential, players should type the code before researching specific technologies that benefit that unit.
Codes[edit | edit source]
Units[edit | edit source]
- BIG BERTHA - Transforms Stone Throwers, Catapults, and Heavy Catapults into Big Berthas, which have more hit points and most importantly, greater range and much larger area of effect.
- PHOTON MAN - Creates a futuristic robot trooper armed with a rapid-fire laser gun.
- STEROIDS - Instantly builds structures, gather resources, and build units. This cheat affects ALL players in the game but can be turned on or off by typing the code again in the chat box.
- BLACK RIDER - Transforms a Horse Archer or Heavy Horse Archer into a Black Rider, which will turn into a Catapult, Heavy Catapult, or Big Bertha if killed.
- DARK RAIN - Transforms bowmen and all foot archers into Stealth Archers. They turn into trees when standing still and can walk on water. Previously researched technologies that benefit archers would no longer apply once this cheat is summoned.
- ICBM - Ballistae and Helepolises gets 100 range. However, this does not affect the Line of Sight. As a result, any moving target that is beyond the original range cannot be attacked. Fortunately, it can attack any building discovered through the fog of war. This makes it useful to attack Wonders as a last resort.
- HOYOHOYO - Priests get tremendous speed and 600 hit points, which all can be doubled if appropriate technologies are researched at the temple after this cheat is summoned.
- GAIA - Controls all animals in the game except for anything that can be fished but the player loses control of their civilization. This code cannot be reversed unless the game is saved and reloaded before entering the code. Under most circumstances, if either the original player or their enemies are eliminated, the Gaia player will almost always be defeated regardless of who gets eliminated first.
- MEDUSA - Transforms all Villagers into Medusas. When killed, they will respawn as a Black Rider.
- E=MC2 TROOPER - Creates a futuristic robot trooper armed with an 88-range nuke launcher.
- CONVERT THIS! - Spawns a St. Francis that summons lightning every 3 seconds. Technologies and civilization bonuses that normally affect Priests will also benefit this unit.
- GRANTLINKSPENCE - Changes all animals to "King" versions which are more powerful than ordinary animals (Rise of Rome only).
- UPSIDFLINTMOBILE - Provides Chariot Archers tremendous speed and makes them fire 3 times faster.
- STORMBILLY - Spawns a mech armed with rapid fire laser guns that fires every half of a second.
- BIGDADDY - Creates a Winsett's Z armed with a rocket launcher that deals 600 total damage to every unit every 2 seconds.
- BIG MOMMA - Creates a Winsett's other Z armed with a faster rocket launcher dealing only a total of 120 damage but fires 5 times faster (Rise of Rome only).
- JACK BE NIMBLE - Once the code is activated, all stone throwing siege equipment launch cows, villagers with capes, or tumbling villagers depending on its orientation.
- FLYING DUTCHMAN - All Juggernaughts and their predecessors turn into Flying Dutchman, which can move on land and deals 40 attack.
- POW - Spawns a baby on a tricycle armed with a shotgun that fires every half second (Rise of Rome only).
- POWER UNLIMITED - Gives the player the same unit as the pow cheat but much stronger.
- King Arthur - Transforms birds into dragons.
Resources[edit | edit source]
- WOODSTOCK - Gives the player 1,000 wood.
- QUARRY - Gives the player 1,000 stone.
- PEPPERONI PIZZA - Gives the player 1,000 food.
- COINAGE - Gives the player 1,000 gold.
Map[edit | edit source]
- REVEAL MAP - Reveals the entire map. This code can be turned off by entering it again.
- NO FOG - Removes "Fog of war". This code can be turned off by entering it again.
Game enders and player finishers[edit | edit source]
- DIEDIEDIE - All enemy units and buildings die, resulting in victory (Note: does not work in Multiplayer).
- HARI KARI - The user removes all of their units and buildings on the battlefield resulting in instant defeat unless the player has Medusas or Black Riders. Repeating this cheat multiple times may cause the game to crash.
- RESIGN - You lose regardless of the current situation.
- HOME RUN - Grants instant victory.
- Kill[x] - Where x = player number (For killing player #8, press "kill9"). Entering a number corresponding to a nonexistent player in a game will cause the game to crash.
Other[edit | edit source]
- ZEUS - Does nothing, but in the beta versions it was used to enable/disable cheats.
- RUNPLAY - Unknown (possibly makes horse units faster)