The Chariot is a cavalry unit in Age of Empires that can be trained at the Stable once the Bronze Age is reached. The Chariot is weaker than the Cavalry, but is cheaper. It is also an easier target for archers because it moves slower than most other Stable units.
Egyptian Chariots are quite powerful, having +33% hit points. They also present a bit of psychological warfare, because they appear to be stronger than they actually are. Chariots had double attack against Priests and ×8 conversion resistance before update 38862, thus giving them a purpose in the game, if none other than as Priest-busters and historical accuracy.
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Priests, Archers, Siege Weapons.|
|Weak vs.||Infantry, Elite Infantry, Cavalry, War Elephants.|
- Egyptian: Chariots have 33% more HP.
Age of Empires
- Chariots have +7 damage vs Priests and ×8 conversion resistance.
- With update 38862, Chariots have no bonus damage vs Priests and ×2 conversion resistance.
Chariots originated in Sumeria before 2500 BC as four-wheeled carts pulled by onagers. These chariots were slow and cumbersome compared to later chariots, but provided a protected platform for spearmen and archers. How they were used in combat remains unclear, although all charging animals were intimidating on the battlefield. At this time the horse was not widely domesticated in the civilized parts of the world. In the first half of the second millennium BC, the chariot basket was reduced in size and mounted on only two wheels. Horses were substituted eventually to provide greater speed. The fast two-wheeled chariot was especially intimidating in battle because of its speed and the shock value of charging horses. At this time horses were rarely being ridden. Charioteers became the elite of the civilized armies for the next 600 or so years. Chariots were often manned by the nobility because of their elite status, the glory to be won, and the high cost of building and maintaining chariots and their horse teams.
- Chariots were originally supposed to be in Age of Mythology and functioned similarly to the Prodromos, being a fast anti-cavalry unit.
- Despite being a civilization that was good at using chariots in combat, the Persians do not have access to any chariot unit in Age of Empires.
- The Assyrians are the only civilization that has access to Chariots but is unable to upgrade to Scythe Chariots, due to the fact they lack Nobility.
- The Hero Jason unit looks similar to a Chariot rider.
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Archer||Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Ship||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|