|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires. For the beta unit in Age of Mythology, see Chariot (Age of Mythology).|
Egyptian Chariots are quite powerful, having +33% hit points. They also present a bit of psychological warfare, because they appear to be stronger than they actually are. Chariots have double attack against Priests, thus giving them a purpose in the game, if none other than as priest-busters and historical accuracy.
The chariot is an uncommon unit, and only these civilizations have them available:
Tool Age Edit
Bronze Age Edit
- Nobility: increases HP by 15%
- Metalworking: increases attack by 2
- Scale Armor Cavalry: increases armour by 2
Iron Age Edit
- Metallurgy: increases attack by 3
- Chain Mail Cavalry: increases armour by 2
- Chariots can be upgraded into Scythe Chariot
- Note: Scythe Chariot requires Nobility
Civilization bonuses Edit
Egyptians are the only civilization with a bonus that affects Chariots.
- Egyptian: Chariots have 33% more HP.
- The Chariot is not available for Carthaginians, Choson, Greeks, Macedonians, Minoans, Persians and Yamato.
"Chariots originated in Sumeria before 2500 BC as four-wheeled carts pulled by onagers. These chariots were slow and cumbersome compared to later chariots, but provided a protected platform for spearmen and archers. How they were used in combat remains unclear, although all charging animals were intimidating on the battlefield. At this time the horse was not widely domesticated in the civilized parts of the world. In the first half of the second millennium BC, the chariot basket was reduced in size and mounted on only two wheels. Horses were substituted eventually to provide greater speed. The fast two-wheeled chariot was especially intimidating in battle because of its speed and the shock value of charging horses. At this time horses were rarely being ridden. Charioteers became the elite of the civilized armies for the next 600 or so years. Chariots were often manned by the nobility because of their elite status, the glory to be won, and the high cost of building and maintaining chariots and their horse teams."
- Chariots were originally supposed to be in Age of Mythology and functioned similarly to the Prodromos, being a fast anti-cavalry unit
- Despite being a civilization that is good at using chariots in combat, the Persians do not have access to any Chariot unit in Age of Empires.
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Navy||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|