The Changdao is an infantry unit similar to the Halbedier with a moderately high melee attack, a decent modifier against cavalry and a reasonable siege attack. The Changdao is an excellent counter to melee cavalry and Pikeman units, as well as being fairly competent against buildings. It will quickly fall in battle against ranged infantry and artillery, whereas the heavier and sturdier Halberdier is able to take a few more hits. Despite their damage multiplier, the Changao are not an effective counter against most light cavalry, due to lacking speed, hit points, and range. Changdao is also Chinese all rounded infantry that serve much better against cavalry. There are several upgrades to improve its performance:
- Western Reforms card: Increases hit points and attack of all units by 8%
- Territorial Army card: Increases Changdao Swordsman & Arquebusier hit points and attack by 15%
- Manchu Combat card: Increases hit points and attack of Qiang Pikeman, Changdao Swordsman, Keshik, and Meteor Hammer by 15%
In comparison to the Halbedier the Changdao has lower hit points, lower base attack and a lower siege attack. In turn, the Changdao is cheaper and slightly faster. In this sense it is somewhat in-between the bulky Halbedier and the more lightweight Pikeman. However, the Changdao does have a significantly higher attack than the Pikeman. Nevertheless, due to its low combat stats the Changdao is not classified as Heavy Infantry.
The overall stats for Changdao Swordsman can be improved by sending improvement-based shipments. A default Changdao Swordsman has already acquired the stats of a disciplined soldier with +20% stats, hence when trained, the unit is called "Disciplined Changdao Swordsman".
- Hit points: +20% (144)
- Hand attack: +20% (18)
- Siege attack: +20% (25)
Honored Changdao Edit
- Hit points: +30% (180)
- Hand attack: +30% (22)
- Siege attack: +30% (31)
Exalted Changdao Edit
- Hit points: +50% (240)
- Hand attack: +50% (30)
- Siege attack: +50% (42)
- "Chang Dao" or 長刀 is literally translated as "long sword" in Chinese.
- The Changdao Swordsman's attack bonus (x2.3) against cavalry is a reference to the Ancient Chinese Zhanmadao (As the history file references).
- The Zanbato is classified as a variant of the Zhanmadao (along with the Changdao) and is most likely the ancestor of the Katana.
"The Chinese long sword known as changdao was actually a modification of a Japanese design carried by wokou pirates of the sixteenth century. The famed Chinese pirate fighter, General Qi Jiguang, is said to have taken the existing Japanese odachi sword, lengthened it, and straightened its curve. The resulting blade was extremely long, over three feet, and ideal for repelling cavalry. Therefore, it replaced the traditional Chinese horse fighting blade, the zhanmadao. During his campaign to secure the Mongol border in 1560, Qi Jiguang’s Chinese forces used the new weapon to great effect. A proven success, the changdao was utilized throughout the remaining years of the Ming Dynasty."