|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II. For the technologies in Age of Empires, see Chain Mail.|
Chain Mail Armor is available for all civilizations except for the Tatars.
Plate Mail Armor is the further upgrade of this technology.
- Bulgarians: Chain Mail Armor costs 50% less food.
- Chinese: Chain Mail Armor is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Incas: Chain Mail Armor benefits Villagers.
- Spanish: Chain Mail Armor costs no gold.
- Portuguese: Researching Chain Mail Armor is 30% faster.
- A team containing Bulgarians: Researching Chain Mail Armor is faster.
|“||Armor made of linked metal chains was an improvement over a cascade of metal scales. It had greater intergrity and held up better after taking some damage. Whereas a row of scales might come loose after a blow, chain mail armor stayed largely intact. Because the linked chains were smaller than the scales they replaced, chain mail armor was more flexible and comfortable to wear. While an improvement, chain mail armor was also more expensive and time-consuming to manufacture.||”|
- Bulgarians: Initially, Blacksmiths work 50% faster. With update 42848, Blacksmiths work 80% faster.
- Bulgarians: With update 42848, Blacksmith technologies cost 50% less food.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are researched 30% faster.