|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires III. For the similar unit in Age of Empires II, see Cavalry Archer (Age of Empires II).|
|“||Ranged cavalry. Good against cavalry.||”|
The Cavalry Archer is a mounted archer in Age of Empires III that replaces the Dragoon for the Ottomans and Russians. It can be trained at the Stable, Fort, and Galleon upon reaching the Fortress Age.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Cavalry Archers do less damage than Dragoons but attack faster, dealing more damage per second than Dragoons. They resist 30% melee damage as well as having more hit points, so they are more capable of fighting against hand infantry and can take some of them down with them, though it is still not recommended to attack any hand infantry with them. They have multipliers against artillery, as well as cavalry, and paired with their high hit points, they can easily take down most cannons. Normally ranged cavalry do half damage to villagers, but the Ottomans' Irregulars Home City Card allow them to gain an attack bonus against villagers instead, making them an effective unit for slowing down the enemy's economy. They can also be used to lure enemies into a trap using guerilla tactics.
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
The Cavalry Archer starts at the Veteran level, giving them +20% hit points and attack.
If they are made available in the Commerce Age with the "TEAM Early Dragoons" Home City Card, Cavalry Archers will be automatically upgraded to Veteran once the player reaches the Fortress Age.
|Guard Cavalry Archers||600 wood,
|Upgrades Cavalry Archers to Guard (+30% hit points and attack)||Ottomans|
|Tatar Loyalists||1,000 wood,
|Upgrades Cavalry Archers to Tatar Cavalry Archers (Guard Cavalry Archer with +10% hit points and attack)||Russians|
|Imperial Cavalry Archers||1,500 wood,
|Upgrades Cavalry Archers to Imperial (+50% hit points and attack); requires Guard Cavalry Archers||Ottomans|
|Imperial Tatar Loyalists||Upgrades Tatar Cavalry Archers to Imperial Tatars (+50% hit points and attack); requires Tatar Loyalists||Russians|
Civilization differences[edit | edit source]
- As seen above, the Russians can upgrade Cavalry Archers to the Royal Guard and Imperial Guard levels.
Revolution[edit | edit source]
- Romania can ship Wallachian Horse Archers through the namesake Home City Card, which are Cavalry Archers that fires 33% faster (with 1.0 ROF instead of 1.5) and have 10% more speed but 33% less hit points.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Heavy cavalry, light infantry, artillery|
|Weak vs.||Heavy infantry, ranged infantry, light cavalry|
|Hit points|| Comanche Horse Breeding (+10%)|
Cree Tanning (+5%)
Navajo Weaving (+5%)
|Attack|| Ranged Cavalry Caracole (+10%)|
Carib Kasiri Beer (+10%)
Carib Garifuna Drums (+1.0x multiplier vs. villagers)
Seminole Bowyer (+25%)
Tupi Poison Arrow Frogs (+10%)
|Range||Ranged Cavalry Caracole (+2)|
|Sight|| Town Watch (+2)|
Ranged Cavalry Caracole (+2)
|Speed|| Comanche Mustangs (+10%)|
Apache Endurance (+5%)
|Creation speed|| Mass Cavalry (-50%)|
Cheyenne Horse Trading (-25%)
Incan Chasquis Messengers (-25%)
|Train cost||Mapuche Ad-mapu (-10% coin cost)|
|Other|| Westernization (grants Veteran upgrade, Russians only)|
Petrine Reforms (grants Royal Guard upgrade, Russians only)
Meritocracy (-20% upgrade cost)
Home City Cards[edit | edit source]
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Cavalry Archer|
Europeans[edit | edit source]
Ottomans[edit | edit source]
Russians[edit | edit source]
Changelog[edit | edit source]
Age of Empires III[edit | edit source]
- Cavalry Archers have a 3.5x melee multiplier and a 1.5x ranged multiplier against Coyote Runners.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Cavalry Archers have a 2.25x multiplier against Coyote Runners, both melee and ranged.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Russian Royal Guard Cavalry Archers are named after the Tatars who are renowned for their fierce horse archers. Before the Definitive Edition, they are named after the European exonym Tartar.
- The Loyalist part of their upgrade's name refers to the Golden Horde from which the majority of Tatar khanates later conquered by the Russian Empire originates, as the in-game history section states.
- Romanian Cavalry Archers are named after the namesake region inhabited by the Vlachs who are known for employing mounted archers.
- Cavalry Archers originally cost less population than Dragoons. This can be seen in this unit's History menu section.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Nomadic cavalry archers roamed with their herds in eastern and southern Russia. They raided, traveled, and conquered into what would become Russia and eastern Europe. The Europeans called these fierce cavalrymen the Tartars, though the Tartars were only one of a conglomeration of many distinct nomadic tribes and people. Their colorful tents earned them a more poetic name, the "Golden Horde." The Golden Horde, united under Tokhtamysh, sacked Moscow, but was soon wracked by a civil war that splintered the Horde into several Khanates. The new Russian nation of Tsar Ivan the Terrible, allied with some of the splinter groups, while the Ottoman Empire under Mehmed II allied with others.
Cavalry Archers wore light clothes - baggy pants, vests, long coats, and furred hats. Blue and red were popular colors, and embroidery a popular decoration to garments. Soldiers carried a variety of arms, primarily bows, but also swords, spears, and later, firearms. Though the Tartars are most commonly thought of as cavalry, they were competent infantry as well.