The Cathedral is an unconstructable building in Age of Empires II. In campaigns, it is often used as an aesthetic building for large cities, but usually as the focal point of an objective. The Cathedral resembles the original British Wonder, though considerably larger. Cathedrals cannot be built, but are available in the Scenario Editor.
Cathedrals appear in the following campaign scenarios.
- The Maid of Orleans - There is a Cathedral in Orleans which must remain standing, or else the player loses.
- The Rising - There is a Cathedral in Rheims.
- The Siege of Paris - The British have a Cathedral in Paris.
- Pope and Antipope - The player must convert the Cathedral in the city of Milan to win the scenario. Destroying it will result in the player's defeat.
- Tours - The player owns a Cathedral in Tours, where the player may bring the Trade Carts from Poitiers (under Moorish control) to the area outside the Cathedral. However, it is not necessary to keep the Cathedral standing.
- Tales of La Canela - There is a Cathedral in Quito.
|Unconstructable buildings in Age of Empires II|
|The Age of Kings|
|Bridge · Cathedral · Dome of the Rock · Great Pyramid · Mosque · Pavilion · Pyramid · The Accursed Tower · Sea Gate · Sea Tower · Sea Wall · The Tower of Flies · Trade Workshop · Yurt|
|Amphitheatre · Aqueduct · Arch of Constantine · City Wall · Colosseum · Fire Tower · Fortified Palisade Wall · Fortress · Gol Gumbaz · Poenari Castle · Quimper Cathedral · Temple of Heaven · Wooden Bridge|
|The African Kingdoms|
|Barricade · Fence · Granary · Hut · Palace · Sea Fortification · Storage · Tent|
|Rise of the Rajas|
|Army Tent · Sanchi Stupa|
|The Last Khans (Definitive Edition)|
|Aachen Cathedral · Chain · City Gate · Dormition Cathedral · Rock Church · Sankore Madrasah · Shrine · Tower of London|
|Dawn of the Dukes|