The Loop (Games)
Do you like this video?
|This article is about the scenario editor unit in Age of Mythology. For other uses, see Cataphract.|
Attack bonus[edit | edit source]
Strengths and Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Strong against
- Weak against
- Anti-Cavalry Infantry (Less of a threat than normally)
- Anti-Cavalry Cavalry
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- Medium Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry and Champion Cavalry all increase LOS by 1 and attack by 10%, and increase hit points by 10%, 15% and 20% respectively.
- Levy Cavalry and Conscript Cavalry decrease training time by 20%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons and Iron Weapons increase attack by 10%.
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail and Iron Mail decrease hack vulnerability by 10%.
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields and Iron Shields decrease pierce vulnerability by 10%.
- Oracle (Apollo) increases LOS by 6.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Cataphracts are strong against infantry. Originally refering to any armored soldier (including ships) the word "cataphract" was eventually reserved for heavily armored horses, particularly those used by the Sassanids or Byzantines. The elite cataphract of the Greek Byzantine Empire wore chain mail armor on both himself and his mount. These men could shoot composite bows from the saddle or engage the enemy with a spear or sword. They could out-range or evade enemy foot troops, or out armor enemy light cavalry. The Greek Byzantine army had a tradition of good horsemanship because much of their territory was plains or steppe, and the empire was sufficiently wealthy to provide the training and Cataphract's expensive equipment.||”|
|—In-game history section|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Greek/original Cataphract uses the same textures and models as Achilles, suggesting the cataphract was supposed to be a base unit.
- At one point the Cataphract wore iron armor instead of golden/bronze armor.
- The Cataphract was originally planned for Hades, but replaced with the Gastraphetes because it made "No sense to have a cavalry unit for a Archer 'civilization'". The developer even went on the record saying the Gastraphetes was the last human soldier created for Age of Mythology.
- Despite being called a "Cataphract", the design is more accurate to that of a Hippeis (a Greek Knight)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.