|“||Swedish Musketeer that fires quickly and counters Cavalry from range instead of at melee distance. Can charge quickly with his sword equipped. Good in melee combat.||”|
The Carolean is a heavy infantry in Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition that is unique to the Swedes and can be trained at the Barracks, Fort, and Galleon. It is a rapid-firing Musketeer which moves faster and has a stronger attack while in Melee Mode.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Caroleans have a low base damage on their ranged attack, with slightly quicker rate of fire, which makes them to do the same amount of ranged damage as the European Musketeer. They have a stronger melee attack when compared to most of Musketeer type units, even Janissaries and Sepoys, but their melee attack does not have a multiplier against cavalry. Instead, Caroleans have a multiplier against heavy cavalry and shock infantry on their ranged attack.
Caroleans become very effective upon reaching the Fortress Age and Industrial Age, due to the availability of upgrades through Home City shipments. They can attain 15 range through the Snaplock card, which is the highest range for a Musketeer-type unit, beating the Regular (14 range) and Tomahawk (attains 14 range through Lacrosse). They also gain more attack bonus against heavy cavalry and shock infantry through the Platoon Fire card. The Svea Lifeguard card provides 25% hitpoints and also converts the melee resistance to ranged resistance. With all of the upgrade cards and arsenal upgrades combined, they become one of the strongest late -game Musketeer units in the game, similar to the Ashigaru Musketeer.
Although Caroleans do not have a multiplier vs Cavalry in melee, they have a higher melee resistance and higher melee attack compared to other Musketeer units. This makes them to perform moderately well in melee against cavalry and better in range. They have a unique Carolean Charge ability that increases their speed for a limited time and locks them on melee mode, which can be used to perform a surprise attack, especially against light infantry, or to catch units that are trying to flee or to retreat from an unfavorable fight.
Special ability[edit | edit source]
- Carolean Charge: For the next 8 seconds, all Caroleans have their speed increased by 1 but are locked into Melee Mode. 90 seconds cooldown; shared across all Caroleans.
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
|Veteran Caroleans||200 wood,
|Upgrades Caroleans to Veteran (+20% hit points and attack)|
|Guard Caroleans||600 wood,
|Upgrades Caroleans to Guard (+30% hit points and attack); requires Veteran Caroleans|
|Imperial Caroleans||1,500 wood,
|Upgrades Caroleans to Imperial (+50% hit points and attack); requires Guard Caroleans|
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
As Caroleans are unique to the Swedes, only technologies that they have access to are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Cavalry (especially Light cavalry), infantry|
|Weak vs.||Skirmishers, archers, artillery|
|Hit points|| Flint Lock (+10%)|
Grand Encampment (+25%, United States only)
Cree Tanning (+5%)
Navajo Weaving (+5%)
|Attack|| Socket Bayonet (+20% melee attack)|
Paper Cartridge (+15%)
Smokeless Powder (+30% siege attack)
Clenched Fist (+10% melee attack)
|Speed|| Military Drummers (+10%)|
Incan Road-building (+20%)
Apache Endurance (+5%)
|Sight||Town Watch (+2)|
|Creation speed|| Standing Army (-25%)|
Incan Chasquis Messengers (-25%)
|Train cost||Mapuche Ad-mapu (-10% coin cost)|
|Other||Meritocracy (-20% upgrade cost)|
Home City Cards[edit | edit source]
As Caroleans are unique to the Swedes, only their cards and other civilizations' TEAM cards are shown in the following tables:
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Carolean|
Dutch[edit | edit source]
Europeans[edit | edit source]
Changelog[edit | edit source]
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Originally, Caroleans had 20 melee damage and a ×1.3 ranged attack multiplier against shock infantry. With update 5208, they have 19 melee damage and a ×1.5 ranged attack multiplier against shock infantry.
- Originally, Caroleans gained additional speed when switching to their melee mode. Update 5208 introduced the Carolean Charge ability, which grants all Caroleans +1 speed and locks them into melee mode for 8 seconds. The ability has a 90 second global cooldown.
- Originally, Caroleans had 10 range, gained +1 range from Veteran, Guard, and Imperial upgrades, gained +4 range from the Snaplock card, and gained a +1.0 multiplier against heavy cavalry from the Platoon Fire card. With update 13088, they have 12 range, gain no range from Veteran, Guard, and Imperial upgrades, gain +3 range from the Snaplock card, gain a +0.7 multiplier against heavy cavalry from the Platoon Fire card, and have no bonus damage against Light Ranged Cavalry.
- Originally, Caroleans had 15 LOS. With update 20322, they have 16 LOS.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Caroleans were soldiers of the Swedish kings Charles XI and Charles XII. In the late 17th and early 18th centuries, in order to compensate for its lack of manpower and resources, Sweden strove for innovative ways to make a more effective army. The tactics of Caroleans differed from those of Western European soldiers in their greater reliance upon pikes, rapiers, bayonets, and offensive strategy, which helped them to be victorious, even when greatly outnumbered, in many important Swedish battles.
The Carolean army was always relatively small. As a result, heavy losses were devestating. Despite the Carolean army's effectiveness, its small size prevented Sweden from maintaining its hold on power as evidenced by the decline of the Swedish Empire after its defeat in the Great Northern War.
|—In-game history section|
See also[edit | edit source]
- Musketeer - European equivalent
- Janissary – Ottoman equivalent
- Ashigaru Musketeer – Japanese equivalent
- Sepoy – Indian equivalent
- Boneguard Musketeer – Circle of Ossus equivalent
- Regular – United States equivalent