Caribbean is a popular map in Age of Empires III. It features large open waters and numerous fish and whales, it is ideal for Water Boom matches and civilizations with bonuses suited for naval warfare.
Unlike other maps, the Caribbean follows a different set of mechanics compared to other maps:
- In a Supremacy match, there will be two islands for each team, which hosts a large variety of resources, low-level treasures and a Carib settlement.
- In a Deathmatch, every player gets their own island. There are no Carib settlements on any of these small islands.
Regardless of the gameplay chosen, the topography of each island is different and never set. In addition, both gamestyles will also have another island which is at the north, west, east or south edges of the map, containing 3 Trade Routes, another Carib settlement and moderate-level treasures.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||The Caribbean Sea is a western offshoot of the Atlantic Ocean that sits between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. Though many of the islands are south of the Tropic of Cancer, the waters around such islands as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are cooler than mainland Central America. These islands are subtropical rather than tropical, even though they are well within the tropics. Islands are mountainous, formed millions of years ago in volcanic eruptions from the sea floor. Plant and animal life is abundant and diverse, in areas ranging from deserts to rainforests.
Islands in the eastern waters (the West Indies) were the site of Christopher Columbus' first landfall in the Western Hemisphere. The Spanish established dozens of colonies and ports in this area to support their conquest of wealthy natives, especially the Inca, Maya, and Aztec. The islands of the Caribbean were already settled by a fierce people, the Carib, who eventually supported the sugar plantations and colonies of a number of European powers. The French, British, and Dutch all had a presence in the Caribbean, though none were quite as powerful as the Spanish. Fat Spanish galleons loaded with plundered gold and silver sailed the length of the Caribbean, tempting attacks by privateers and pirates.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The AI glitch out far more on this map compared to the other maps:
- AI can use ships to land troops on enemy islands, but may not move them at all due to coding errors.
- They also have a delayed start on Nomad.
- Sometimes their Covered Wagon will not appear alongside their Explorer.