|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors. For the trade unit in Age of Mythology, see Caravan (Age of Mythology).|
Caravan is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors available at the Market upon reaching the Castle Age. Once researched, it allows Trade Carts and Trade Cogs to gather gold more quickly by moving 50% faster.
Caravan greatly increases the generation of gold through trade with the added benefit that raids against trade routes are much less effective. In team games, Caravan is a mandatory technology once Gold Mines are depleted.
- Burgundians: Can research Caravan in the Feudal Age. Caravan costs -50% food.
- Chinese: Caravan is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Caravan is 30% faster.
- A team containing Bohemians: Researching Caravan is 80% faster.
- Cartography must be researched in order to research Caravan.
Rise of the Rajas
- With patch 5.7, Cartography was removed from the game.
Lords of the West
|“||Trade quickly rose from a simple peasant taking his cart to market to more sophisticated enterprises of multiple carts or baggage animals traveling between cities. Caravans of trade packhorses or other conveyances were more efficient because they were easier to manage and guard over long distances. The word caravan is derived from Persian and usually refers to trade parties traversing deserts or hostile regions. The most famous caravan trade route of the Middle Ages was the Silk Road from China to Constantinople or the eastern Mediterranean coast.||”|
|—The Conquerors manual|