|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires. For the untrainable unit in Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten, see Heavy Swordsman.|
|This article or section is outdated.
The Broad Swordsman is an infantry unit in Age of Empires that is a stronger upgrade of the Short Swordsman. The Broad Sword technology is available at the Barracks in the Bronze Age for 140 food and 50 gold. The Broad Swordsman can be upgraded further to a Long Swordsman once the Iron Age is reached.
The Broad Swordsman is stronger than the Short Swordsman and is an upgrade available immediately after researching the Short Sword. Only three civilizations in the game cannot upgrade to the Broad Sword. It has more hit points and attack, making it useful in the Bronze Age, being better equipped to stand up to cavalry. However, their speed still poses a problem, making them vulnerable to archers, just like Short Swordsmen. However, they do make a good army in massed numbers for a Bronze Age assault.
- Metalworking: Increases attack by 2 points.
- Scale Armor Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Bronze Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Logistics: Decreases population usage by 1/2.
- Metallurgy: Increases attack by 3 points.
- Chain Mail Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Iron Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Tower Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Can be upgraded to the Long Swordsman.
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Romans: Broad Swordsmen attack +33% faster.
- Macedonians: Broad Swordsmen have +2 line of sight and are four times more resistant to conversion.
- Choson: Broad Swordsmen have +20 Hit points*
- The Broad Swordsman is not available for Egyptians, Greeks, and Yamato.
Age of Empires Edit
- Broad Swordsmen have 70 hit points.
- Broad Swordsmen have 80 hit points.
- Choson Broad Swordsmen get +20 hit points.
The appearance of bronze short swords led to further advances in weaponry as competing cultures sought an advantage in military technology over their neighbors. Where the early short sword was primarily a piercing weapon, the broad sword evolved as a slashing weapon. The width of the blade increased strength sufficiently to support a slashing attack that could cut into armor and break short swords designed for stabbing.
— the Age of Empires manual
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Navy||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|