|“||Powerful attack with extensive line of sight. Attack bonus vs. ships.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
The Bombard Tower is a gunpowder tower in Age of Empires II that becomes available once the Imperial Age is reached and the Bombard Tower technology is researched. The Bombard Tower has an extremely powerful attack, but its projectiles travel quite slowly.
The * indicates that the civilization can fully upgrade their Bombard Towers, i.e. gets Bracer, Architecture, and Heated Shot. Faith and Heresy are not taken into account because they only contribute to their combat strength in a very situational manner.
1The Spanish do not have a bonus or technology which affects the combat strength of Bombard Towers per se. However, their building speed bonus speeds up their readiness for battle when using forward villagers (who also receive Supremacy), greatly improving their overall performance.
Tactics and placement
Towers are an essential part of any kind of fortification. Bombard Towers are very useful and valuable for defending the player's settlement against enemy raiding parties, and can tackle heavily armored and well rounded units, unlike the regular towers. Turtling strategies becomes more successful with the inclusion of Bombard Towers among regular towers and Castles in order to create a strong fortification. When going for a Wonder or Relic win, Bombard Towers are very valuable when included in the defensive structures.
Bombard Towers should be placed in choke points to make them more effective or behind cliffs or forests. They work better if placed within the range of each other, within the range of regular towers or within the range of a friendly Castle since those buildings will provide cover fire for each other. Using walls protects them to some extent from rams, but against rams, the help of melee units is needed. On maps like Archipelago and Islands it is a wise idea to have several Bombard Towers near the shore line in order to take down potentially dangerous enemy fleets and give some support to the player's own fleet near the coast.
Offensively, Bombard Towers can also be used for front line support as in a retreat they can garrison troops that can be healed and it also provides cover fire for buildings like Barracks, Stables, Archery Ranges, or Siege Workshops if they are placed near an enemy town. In this regard they are better than a Castle since they are cheaper and are created quicker, while also featuring a high attack. Bombard Towers can even be used like a siege support building, if a player is attacking an enemy location they can take some Villagers to create several Bombard Towers outside and around the opponents fortifications in order to take them down with the support of units. Employing the Bombard Tower offensively also has the side effect of letting the team gain and retain map control.
A Bombard Tower has 120 attack, enough to one-hit-kill any infantry or archer and two-hit-kill any other unit that is not an elephant, ram, or Turtle Ship. However, they can be outranged by Trebuchets, Cannon Galleons, and Bombard Cannons. So essentially, these three units and the aforementioned rams are the only units Bombard Towers have to really fear.
Elite Longbowmen also outrange Bombard Towers, but deal very little damage and are a much smaller threat.
Turkish Bombard Towers have an extra long range and can only be outranged by Trebuchets, Elite Cannon Galleons, and Turkish Bombard Cannons, making them even harder to deal with.
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Everything in its range (due to its attack)|
|Weak vs.||Rams, units with longer range, massed units|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
Great Wall (+30%, Chinese only)
|Attack|| Fletching (+1)|
Bodkin Arrow (+1)
Heated Shot (+125% attack against ships)
|Range|| Fletching (+1)|
Bodkin Arrow (+1)
Murder Holes (eliminates minimum range)
Artillery (+2, Turks only)
|Accuracy|| Ballistics (hit moving targets)|
Arquebus (hit moving targets, Portuguese only)
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Other||Herbal Medicine (garrisoned units heal faster)|
- Byzantines: Bombard Towers have +40% HP. Town Watch and Town Patrol are free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Bombard Towers are 20% cheaper.
- Italians: University technologies that benefit Bombard Towers are 33% cheaper.
- Koreans: The Bombard Tower technology is free (requires Chemistry to be researched beforehand).
- Portuguese: Technologies that benefit Bombard Towers are researched 30% faster.
- Spanish: Bombard Towers are built 30% faster. Fletching, Bodkin Arrow, and Bracer cost no gold.
- Teutons: Bombard Towers can garrison up to 10 units. Murder Holes and Herbal Medicine are free.
- Turks: The Bombard Tower technology is 50% cheaper. Chemistry is free.
- A team containing Bulgarians: Fletching, Bodkin Arrow, and Bracer are researched faster.
- A team containing Ethiopians: Bombard Towers have +3 Line of Sight.
- A team containing Lithuanians: Faith, Herbal Medicine, and Heresy are researched 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: University technologies that benefit Bombard Towers are researched 80% faster.
The Age of Kings
- Bombard Towers deal melee damage.
- Bombard Towers have an attack bonus of +7 against camels because they share an armor class with ships.
- Herbal Medicine introduced.
- Heresy introduced.
- With patch 1.0b, Bombard Towers now deal pierce damage. Even though is does not make much of a difference in many cases, it is of utmost importance since now they are ineffective against rams.
- Turks: Artillery introduced.
The African Kingdoms
- Camels are moved out of the ship armor class, and the Bombard Towers lose their attack bonus against them. They now have +1 attack against them.
- Portuguese: Arquebus increases the projectile speed of Bombard Towers by +0.5.
Rise of the Rajas
- Koreans: With patch 5.8, Bombard Towers are now built 5% faster.
- Portuguese: Arquebus now has a smaller effect on gunpowder units, the speed modifier is reduced by 75%.
- Portuguese: With patch 5.2, the Arquebus speed modifier for Bombard Towers and is removed.
- Portuguese: With patch 5.7, the Arquebus speed modifier for Bombard Towers is now +0.2.
- Koreans: Bombard Towers are no longer built faster.
- The Aztecs and Mayans do not have access to Bombard Towers. Thus, there was no design for the Native American Bombard Tower in The Conquerors and if given a Bombard Tower in the Scenario Editor (or via the Full Tech Tree), it would have the Central European look. If a game like this was started, it would not load or the game would crash completely. That was fixed in The Forgotten, and the Native American civilizations got their own Bombard Tower design. The same thing used to happen with the Stable, but was fixed too.
- The Bombard Tower model of the Native American civilizations is inspired by the Palace Observation Tower in Palenque.
- Bombard Towers usually fire one cannonball. Teutonic Bombard Towers can garrison up to 10 units, and garrisoning 10 Hand Cannoneers gives the Bombard Tower a second projectile. If 10 Elite Janissaries of a Turkish ally are garrisoned, three cannonballs are fired. Since update 50292, if 10 fully upgraded Elite Chu Ko Nu of a Chinese ally are garrisoned, four cannonballs are fired.
- The Tatars are the only civilization that can build Bombard Towers, but not Keeps.
- In The Conquerors and the HD Edition, the Spanish are the only civilization using Western European architecture that can build Bombard Towers. Because the Spanish were changed to the Mediterranean building set in the Definitive Edition, the Western European Bombard Tower was only seen in all tech or campaign mode. Now the Western European Bombard Tower is unique to the Burgundians.
- This also happened to the South East Asian and Middle Eastern Bombard Tower, which became unique to the Malay (as the Vietnamese changed to East Asian architecture) and Turks (since the Byzantines changed to Mediterranean architecture).
- Before the Definitive Edition, the Eastern European Bombard Tower was only seen in Full Tech mode, but then became unique to the Lithuanians. Now the Bohemians and Poles share it as well.
- The Bombard Tower for the Western European architecture is darker than the Keep.
- The Bombard Tower for the East Asian architecture is shorter than the Keep and has a black roof.
- Both civilizations introduced in Dawn of the Dukes have access to the Bombard Tower.
|“||By the end of the Middle Ages the development of cannon had changed military engineering by making standard castles obsolete. Their high vertical walls were particularly susceptible to direct cannon fire aimed at their base. Military engineers responded by building new structures that were less susceptible to cannon fire and by mounting cannon within these structures to augment their defensive positions along coasts, at important river crossings, and at other strategic points. These new bombard towers swept the approaches to harbors and towns, making them more difficult to attack.||”|
|—Age of Empires II manual|
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economic||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria · Folwark|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost · Donjon|
|Tower||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Wall||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|