It should be noted that Archer line upgrades, which affect exclusively the Bogsveigir, cost half the price, compared to the Greeks' and Atlanteans'. For example, Medium Archers costs 75 Wood and 75 Gold, rather than 150 of each resource.
Attack bonuses Edit
- Myth unit: x3
- Set Animal: x3
God bonuses and upgrades Edit
Odin enables Bogsveigirs to regenerate 1.5 HP/s when idle. Odin also increases HP by 20%.
- Medium Archers, Heavy Archers, and Champion Archers all increase LOS by 1, attack by 10%, and hit points by 10%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons, and Iron Weapons increase attack by 10%.
- Hammer of the Gods (Thor) increases attack by 10%.
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail, and Iron Mail decrease hack vulnerability by 10%.
- Meteoric Iron Mail (Thor) decreases hack vulnerability by 10%.
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields, and Iron Shields decrease pierce vulnerability by 10%.
- Dragonscale Shields (Thor) decreases pierce vulnerability by 10%.
- Burning Pitch x3 damage vs buildings, x1.5 damage against ships
- Levy Hill Fort and Conscript Hill Fort decrease training time by 20%.
Unlike the Throwing Axeman, the Bogsveigir causes pierce rather than hack damage, and is also superior in almost any stat, save for cost (they cost 30 extra wood) and hack armor. Still, they are not as strong against infantry, as they lack an anti-infantry bonus, but their great range more than makes up for it.
When behind cover, such as Stone Walls, and in groups, they can become alarmingly dangerous, as they will abuse their range to snipe enemies from afar, and even stave off myth unit assaults. If a player plays on a defense-oriented map, such as Jotunheim or Deep Jungle or in Sea of Worms (where they are available in the Classical Age), it is recommended to largely substitute, but not to completely replace the Throwing Axemen.
Concerning their anti-myth unit role, Hersirs are better at fighting land units, but the Bogsveigir are the only units who can face flying units, other than Throwing Axemen, and the only ones who can attack distant naval myth units such as Krakens.
“The Bogsveigir is a Norse archer with high accuracy and impressive range, his skill blessed by Valir, the god of archery. It can be trained at the Hill Fort and used for battles where close quarter combat is ineffective, or where ranged support is needed.”—In-game history section
- The Bogsveigir is the fifth non-Chinese Archer added to the game.
- The Bogsveigir was originally an upgrade for Norse Archers in the alpha/beta but was scrapped.
- Bogsveigir means "Bow Swayer", or "Archer", in Old Norse.
- The history description mentions a god called "Valir" who is in fact, not real. The actual Norse god of Archery was Ullr or Ullinn, one of the Aesir (primary Norse gods) second husband of Skadi and stepson of Thor.
|Norse units in Age of Mythology|
|Non-military units||Gatherer · Dwarf · Ox Cart · Fishing Ship · Transport Ship|
|Infantry units||Ulfsark · Throwing Axeman · Huskarl|
|Cavalry units||Raiding Cavalry · Jarl|
|Siege units||Portable Ram · Ballista|
|Naval units||Longboat · Drakkar · Dragon Ship|
|Myth units||Valkyrie · Troll · Einherjar · Kraken · Mountain Giant* · Frost Giant · Battle Boar · Fenris Wolf Brood · Fire Giant* · Jormund Elver|
|* = Shared with Hel, ** = Added in Tale of the Dragon|