Bodkin Arrow is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the Blacksmith once the Castle Age is reached. Once researched, it increases the range and attack of units and buildings that attack with arrows, most notably archers, Castles, and towers, by +1. Town Centers receive +1 attack and Line of Sight, but no range bonus.
Bracer is the further upgrade of this technology.
- Bulgarians: Bodkin Arrow costs 50% less food.
- Chinese: Bodkin Arrow is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Bodkin Arrow is 30% faster.
- Spanish: Bodkin Arrow costs no gold.
- A team containing Bulgarians: Researching Bodkin Arrow is faster.
- The icon for the Bodkin Arrow technology does not show a bodkin arrowhead, but the triangle pointed version that it superseded, as mentioned in the History section below. This is corrected in the Definitive Edition and is the only icon that varies significantly between both versions.
|“||The bodkin arrow was an innovation that made archers of all types more effective against men wearing armor. The bodkin was simply a straight point intended to puncture, rather than a typical broad point intended to slice as it penetrated. The broad point was fine for hunting or use against unarmored targets, but armor effectively dissipated its energy. The bodkin concentrated its power in the point and could penetrate any armor at a sufficiently short range. The English longbowmen at Agincourt lofted barrages of bodkin arrows down upon the dense ranks of French knights. The bodkins, aided by the force of gravity, penetrated helmets, shoulders, legs, and arms when they struck perpendicularly to the face of armor.||”|
- Bulgarians: Initially, Blacksmiths work 50% faster. With update 42848, Blacksmiths work 80% faster.
- Bulgarians: With update 42848, Blacksmith technologies cost 50% less food.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are researched 30% faster.