|“||Used to improve infantry, archers, cavalry, towers, Town Centers, Castles, and Viking Longboats.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
The Blacksmith is a research building in Age of Empires II that becomes available once the Feudal Age is reached. The Blacksmith provides technologies to improve the attack and armor of infantry, cavalry, and archers. Defensive structures and some ships also benefit from the archers' attack upgrades.
Tactics and placement[edit | edit source]
As a building incapable of attacking or producing units, the placement of a Blacksmith must not be given much thought. All it needs to do is provide researches and optimally stand until it is done doing so. Once all necessary technologies have been researched, the Blacksmith is a completely useless building and can freely be deleted (unless it is walling out an area of importance, in which case it should be replaced). Having a Blacksmith is prerequisite to get access to the Siege Workshop. Losing the Blacksmith does not lose the access to the Siege Workshop. In some rare cases, having two Blacksmiths can be of help if time is of essence. But generally speaking, the Blacksmith researches fast enough to make a second one redundant.
Blacksmith upgrades are of key importance in any stage of the game and should be researched as soon as possible. Generally speaking, it makes more sense to upgrade the armor of melee units before their attack because that improves their fighting capabilities against ranged units as they live longer and can close the gap easier. For ranged units, it is the other way around, they should have the highest possible damage output in order to prevent melee units from reaching them at all.
Technologies[edit | edit source]
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
Availability grid[edit | edit source]
The following table shows the availability of the technologies for every civilization. Technologies that are available to all civilizations are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all technologies are available. So 8 of the 35 civilizations have access to all Blacksmith upgrades.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Bulgarians: Blacksmith technologies cost -50% food.
- Byzantines: Blacksmiths have +20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch is free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Blacksmiths and Blacksmith technologies are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Incas: Villagers benefit from Blacksmith infantry technologies.
- Koreans: Padded Archer Armor, Leather Archer Armor and Ring Archer Armor are free.
- Magyars: Forging, Iron Casting, and Blast Furnace are free.
- Malians: Blacksmiths are 15% cheaper.
- Persians: Researching Town Watch and Town Patrol is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Blacksmith technologies are researched 30% faster.
- Spanish: Blacksmiths are built 30% faster. Blacksmith technologies cost no gold.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Bulgarians: Blacksmiths work faster.
- A team containing Lithuanians: Researching Faith and Heresy is 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Age of Kings[edit | edit source]
- Blacksmiths always have 2100 HP.
The Conquerors[edit | edit source]
- Heresy introduced.
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- Blacksmith HP staggered: 1,800/2,100/2,100 in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Bulgarians: Originally, Blacksmiths work 50% faster (as a team bonus). With update 42848, they work 80% faster, and all Blacksmith technologies cost 50% less food.
- Koreans: With update 42848, Padded Archer Armor, Leather Archer Armor and Ring Archer Armor is free.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are researched 30% faster.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Iron-working technology had been learned by the barbarian tribes of Europe prior to the fall of Rome and was carried forward into the Dark Ages. Iron working was done at the blacksmith, named partially for the black iron worked there and for the black soot that covered the workers each day. At the blacksmith iron was forged and hammered into tools, weapons shields, and armor. The ability to make superior weapons and armor became a highly prized and well-rewarded skill. Blacksmiths, armorers, and weapon makers moved into the rising middle class.||”|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economic||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost · Donjon|
|Tower||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Wall||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|