The Big Bertha is a siege weapon in Age of Empires and has the appearance of a Heavy Catapult. It has a much larger blast diameter, +5 attack, +50 hit points and +3 range compared to the Heavy Catapult. It can only be acquired by using the cheat "Big Bertha". The cheat turns all units within the Stone Thrower tech tree line into Big Berthas, but does not work with converted units. This cheat is exceptionally powerful if the player chooses a civilization that has bonuses for siege engines such as the Macedonians, Sumerians or the Hittites. Big Bertha is also available in the Scenario Editor (Definitive Edition only).
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
- Alchemy increases attack by one point.
- Ballistics increases the accuracy.
- Engineering increases the range by 2 points.
Civilization Bonuses[edit | edit source]
- If played as the Hittites, the hit points doubles from 200 to 400 hit points.
- If played as the Sumerians, the rate of fire doubles (same rate of fire as a Ballista).
- If played as the Macedonians, the cost per unit is 2X cheaper and 4X resistant to enemy conversion.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Big Bertha refers to a piece of artillery produced by the Germans during the early 20th century. Big refers to its size and Bertha refers to the first name of the owner of the company that developed the howitzer.
|Cheat units in the Age of Empires series|
|Age of Empires|
|Baby Prez · Big Bertha · Black Rider · Flying Dutchman · Medusa · Nuke Trooper · Photon Man · St. Francis |
Stealth Archer · Stormbilly · Winsett's other Z · Winsett's Z
|Age of Empires II|
|Alfred the Alpaca · Cobra Car · Furious the Monkey Boy · Penguin · Saboteur · VMDL · Sharkatzor · Photon Man|
|Age of Mythology|
|Bella · Flying Purple Hippo · Forkboy · Lazer Bear|
|Age of Empires III|
|BigAndy · Fluffy · Flying Purple Tapir · George Crushington · Flaming Hot Dog Cart · Monster Ice Cream Truck · Lazerbear|
Learicorn · Mediocre Bombard · The Tommynator