|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For similar buildings in other games of the series, see Barracks.|
"Used to create and improve infantry. Required for Archery Range, Stable."—Age of Empires II description
Tactics and placement Edit
As the Barracks is the first military building that enables a player to create military units it is highly important to have at least one as soon as the player can afford it in order to defend themselves. Having a Barracks early in the game is important even if the player does not intend to use infantry units (unless they are Khmer), because it is prerequisite to build Archery Ranges and Stables.
The Barracks is a vital building when performing early game rushes like the Dark Age rush and Feudal Age infantry rush. Also placing Barracks close to an enemy's base gives the player an edge to cut off distances for the troops as they can be created near to the opponent and attack more effectively since infantry units trained there move rather slowly (except for Eagle Warriors). When playing defensively the Barracks should be placed within fortifications in order to produce support units that can deal with many siege units, many cavalry units, and trash units.
In the Goths' case they must use their Barracks extensively for offensive and defensive purposes as their Barracks' work extremely fast, enabling them to mass infantry at an incredibly high rate. Defensively, Goths should always substitute fortifications with just Barracks as they don't have access to Stone Walls and Guard Towers.
Trainable units and technologies Edit
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
Purple: Unique units
Availability grid Edit
The following table shows the availability of the units and technologies for every civilization. Unique units and units and technologies that are available to all civilizations are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all units and technologies are available.
Further statistics Edit
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Work Rate|| Conscription (+33%)|
Perfusion (+100%, Goths only)
|Other||Anarchy (allows creation of Huskarls, Goths only)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Barracks units are created 15% faster.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Byzantines: Barracks have +10%/+20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch is free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Barracks are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Malians: Barracks are 15% cheaper.
- Persians: Researching Town Watch and Town Patrol is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Spanish: Barracks are built 30% faster.
- Vietnamese: Conscription is free.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Goths: Barracks work 20% faster.
- A team containing Italians: Condottieri are available at the Barracks in the Imperial Age.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Slavs: Barracks provide +5 population.
The Conquerors Edit
The Forgotten Edit
The African Kingdoms Edit
"Weapons were made and stored and soldiers drilled in the barracks. During the late Middle Ages, the barracks was incorporated within a castle complex. It became also the part of the castle where professional soldiers lived, ready to help defend the castle or maintain order in the surrounding countryside."
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economy||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor|
|Towers||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Walls||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|