|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For similar buildings in other games of the series, see Barracks.|
|“||Used to create and improve infantry. Required for Archery Range, Stable.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
Tactics and placement[edit | edit source]
As the Barracks is the first military building that enables a player to create military units it is highly important to have at least one as soon as the player can afford it in order to defend themselves. Having a Barracks early in the game is important even if the player does not intend to use infantry units (unless they are Khmer), because it is prerequisite to build Archery Ranges and Stables.
The Barracks is a vital building when performing early game rushes like the Dark Age rush and Feudal Age infantry rush. Also placing Barracks close to an enemy's base gives the player an edge to cut off distances for the troops as they can be created near to the opponent and attack more effectively since infantry units trained there move rather slowly (except for Eagle Warriors). When playing defensively the Barracks should be placed within fortifications in order to produce support units that can deal with many siege units, many cavalry units, and trash units.
In the Goths' case they must use their Barracks extensively for offensive and defensive purposes as their Barracks' work extremely fast, enabling them to mass infantry at an incredibly high rate. Defensively, Goths should always substitute fortifications with just Barracks as they don't have access to Stone Walls and Guard Towers.
Trainable units and technologies[edit | edit source]
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
Availability grid[edit | edit source]
The following table shows the availability of the units and technologies for every civilization. Unique units and units and technologies that are available to all civilizations are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all units and technologies are available.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Work rate|| Conscription (+33%)|
Perfusion (+100%, Goths only)
|Other|| Anarchy (allows creation of Huskarls, Goths only)|
Forced Levy (Militia line only costs food, Malay only)
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Aztecs: Barracks units are created 11% faster.
- Burmese: Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Bulgarians: Militia line units are upgraded for free.
- Byzantines: Barracks have +10%/+20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch is free. Spearmen line units are 25% cheaper.
- Chinese: Barracks technologies and technologies that benefit Barracks are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Ethiopians: The Pikeman upgrade is free.
- Goths: Barracks units are cheaper in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane are 33% cheaper.
- Koreans: Spearman line costs .
- Malians: Barracks are 15% cheaper.
- Persians: Researching Town Watch and Town Patrol is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: The Militia line costs -20% gold. Researching Barracks technologies and technologies that benefit Barracks is 30% faster.
- Spanish: Barracks are built 30% faster.
- Vietnamese: Conscription is free.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Goths: Barracks work 20% faster.
- A team containing Italians: Condottieri are available at the Barracks in the Imperial Age.
- A team containing Lithuanians: Researching Faith and Heresy is 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Slavs: Barracks provide +5 population.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Age of Kings[edit | edit source]
- Tracking costs 75 food, is available for research in the Feudal Age.
- Goths: Barracks units are 10%/15%/25% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
The Conquerors[edit | edit source]
- Eagle Warrior and Elite Eagle Warrior introduced.
- Halberdier introduced.
- Heresy introduced.
- Goths: Anarchy and Perfusion introduced. With patch 1.0b, Barracks units are 35% cheaper starting in the Feudal Age.
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- Tracking costs 50 food.
- Eagle Scout introduced. They are available in the Castle Age.
- Condottiero introduced.
- Slavs: Tracking is free.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Eagle Scout moved to the Feudal Age.
- Arson introduced.
- Ethiopians: The Halberdier upgrade is free.
- Portuguese: With update 37650, Barracks units cost -15% gold.
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- Ethiopians: With patch 5.7, the Halberdier upgrade is no longer free.
- Malay: Forced Levy introduced; it removes gold cost from Militia line.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Supplies introduced.
- Tracking is free and instantly granted upon reaching the Feudal Age.
- Chinese: With update 37650, lose access to Supplies.
- Cumans: With update 37650, lose access to Supplies.
- Goths: With update 35584, Barracks units are 35% cheaper in all ages. With update 36202, lose access to Arson and infantry are 20% → 25% → 30% → 35% cheaper per Age instead of 35% cheaper in all ages.
- Huns: With update 37650, lose access to Supplies.
- Khmer: With update 37650, lose access to Supplies.
- Koreans: Initially, Spearman line costs -15% wood. With update 39284, Spearman line costs -20% wood.
- Lithuanians: With update 37650, lose access to Supplies.
- Malay: Forced Levy changes gold cost into additional food cost (instead of removing it).
- Mayans: With update 37650, lose access to Supplies.
- Mongols: With update 37650, lose access to Supplies.
- Portuguese: With update 37650, Barracks units cost -20% gold.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are now researched 30% faster.
- Slavs: Supplies is free.
- Tatars: With update 35584, receive access to the Halberdier. With update 37650, lose access to Supplies.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Weapons were made and stored and soldiers drilled in the barracks. During the late Middle Ages, the barracks was incorporated within a castle complex. It became also the part of the castle where professional soldiers lived, ready to help defend the castle or maintain order in the surrounding countryside.||”|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economic||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost · Donjon|
|Tower||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Wall||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|