The Bari campaign in Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten consists of three scenarios depicting a few historical events of its namesake, the Italian city of Bari. The campaign is centered around a fictional Greek Nautikos family, where the surname "Nautikos" shows that the ancestors were sailors.
Andreas Nautikos is the narrator of the story, narrating the stories of the first and second scenarios as told by his father, Michael Nautikos. The main protagonist of the first scenario, Panos Nautikos, is the great-grandfather of Andreas, and the grandfather of Michael.
The campaign is present in the Definitive Edition, but has been drastically overhauled and expanded.
The Bari campaign consists of three scenarios. The player plays as the Byzantines, and the player color is blue.
- Arrival at Bari (Panos Nautikos)
- The Rebellion of Melus (Michael Nautikos)
- The Great Siege (Andreas Nautikos)
In the Definitive Edition, the campaign has been completely re-designed and now has five scenarios, and the player's color is now purple.
- In the original version, all the three main characters of the campaign are technically renamed versions of La Hire. This is not the case in the Definitive Edition.
- With only three scenarios, the original Bari campaign is the shortest campaign in Age of Empires II and expansion packs.
- The Bari campaign is the only campaign in Age of Empires II in which the protagonist (the Nautikos family) is purely fictional.
- In addition to the El Dorado campaign, this is the only classic campaign that has not been named after a campaign character.