|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II. For the technology in Age of Empires, see Ballistics (Age of Empires).|
Ballistics is a technology in Age of Empires II available at the University. Once researched, it improves the accuracy of non-gunpowder archers, ships, Castles, towers (including Bombard Towers), and Town Centers when firing at moving targets.
Without Ballistics researched, all ranged units will miss a shot at any unit that is not standing still or moving directly towards (or slowly away from) them, because they always fire at the spot where the targeted unit is at the moment of the shot. Naturally, if that unit is moving, they will miss the shot (unless they get a lucky miss thanks to not having Thumb Ring). So it is of prime importance to research Ballistics for any player and civilization, because it significantly improves the effectiveness not only of archers, but also of Castles and towers.
- Chinese: Ballistics is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: Ballistics is 33% cheaper.
- Portuguese: Ballistics is researched 30% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Ballistics is 80% faster.
- Spanish: Cannon Galleons always fire with Ballistics-like accuracy, even without Ballistics researched. So essentially, the Ballistics technology does not affect them anymore.
Lords of the West
|“||Missile weapons grew increasingly important as the Middle Ages proceeded, culminating in the development of firearms and cannons. Before these innovative weapons there were longbows, crossbows, and a variety of siege engines throwing rocks, spears, and arrows. Practical men studied how these missiles performed in flight and worked to improve velocity and accuracy. This was the science of Ballistics, the study of the motion of projectiles in flight. This experience led to improvements throughout the age as part of the arms race among weapons, armor, fortification, attack, and defense.||”|