|This article is about the goddess in Age of Mythology. For the god in Age of Empires: Mythologies, see Athena (Age of Empires: Mythologies).|
“You have advanced to the Classical Age through the Wisdom of Athena.”—Age up text in Age of Mythology
God Power Edit
- Restoration: Restores hit points to all friendly units and buildings in a large target area for a short period of time.
- Sarissa: Hoplites have -10% hack vulnerability.
- Aegis Shield: Infantry have -10% pierce vulnerability.
- Labyrinth of Minos: Turns Minotaurs into Bull Minotaurs, making them cost 25% less food and increasing HP by 40%.
Myth Unit Edit
- Minotaur: Tough melee unit that is good against other melee units, including myth units. Its special attack is flinging a unit away from combat, dealing it extra damage. It also has 10 crush damage, meaning it is good against buildings in a Classical Age rush.
Athena's bonuses are defensive and protective. Her improvements increase the resistance of Infantry to both pierce and hack attacks. Greek infantry already have high armor, so this makes them even tougher. Athena also improves her Minotaurs in combat, making a tough Myth Unit that is difficult to counter early on. Her god power, Restoration, heals all units and buildings in a wide area. It can be used to press forward an attack with rejuvenated units, or help a defense in dire need.
“The goddess of wisdom, crafts, justice, and war, she is often associated with a shield for war, the owl for wisdom, or the olive tree. When Athena and Poseidon vied to be the patron of a prominent city, they held a contest to see who could give the city the finest gift. Poseidon provided a well, but it produced salty water. Athena gave the olive tree that provided food, oil, and wood. The city took the name Athens.
Athena had a prominent role in Homer’s epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey, serving as Odysseus’ patron throughout his long voyage. In addition to sponsoring warriors and heroes, she introduced many skills necessary for civilization. In an unusual but not unique birth, she sprang from Zeus’ head fully grown and ready for battle. Legends say that Zeus had prevented a normal birth of a son with Athena’s abilities, who he feared would unseat him. Although she was a protector of human heroes, she maintained a distance from male gods whom she perhaps found unworthy of her. Athena’s companion was Nike, the goddess of victory.”
Hero Unit Edit
“You have done well. Now I must prepare you for the rest of your journey.”—Athena to Arkantos in his dream.
Athena also appears as a hero unit in some cut-screens of the Fall of the Trident campaign in Age of Mythology. She either appears to give valuable advice to Arkantos or to warn him of potential threats. Throughout the campaign, Athena will occasionally provide advice to the player and warn them whenever a campaign hero on the player's side faints. If this happens, she will be heard saying, "A hero has fallen." Her only other appearance is in the Scenario Editor. Although she has an attack stat, she is unable to deal damage.
- Originally Athena wielded a Sword, and could be used in combat, however this ability was later cut.
- Athena was originally more tan, and had black hair.
- Athena appears in God of War. where she's voiced by the same actor. Both Arkantos and Kratos from God of War share similar traits.
|Heroes in Age of Mythology|
|Age of Mythology|
|Heroes||Agamemnon · Ajax · Amanra · Arkantos · Brokk · Chiron · Eitri · Odysseus · Reginleif · Setna|
|Antagonists||Circe · Gargarensis · Kamos · Kemsyt · Skult · Theris|
|Supporting characters||Athena · Greta Forkbeard · Kastor · Niordsir · Old Man · Osiris · Theocrat · Zethos|
|Heroes||Ajax · Amanra · Folstag · Gaia · Kastor · Son of Osiris|
|Antagonists||Melagius · Kronos · Prometheus · Servant of Kronos|
|Supporting characters||Arkantos · Atlantean Commander · Krios · Zeno|
|Tale of the Dragon|
|Heroes||Jiao-Long · Shun · Zhi|
|Antagonists||Danzhu · Yama|
|Supporting characters||Ao Kuang · Dilong · Emperor Yao · Pangu · Vermilion Bird|