The Area of Effect, often abbreviated to AoE, is a gameplay element featured in the Age of Empires series. It describes attacks that can affect multiple targets within a specified area.
The area of effect determines the size of area and amount of damage an attack will inflict. Units that deal attacks with an area of effect attribute can damage multiple units, particularly massed groups of targets. The area of effect also affects trees, damaging or destroying them.
In Age of Empires and in Age of Empires II, area of effect attacks can also damage the player's own allied units, especially melee units engaged in combat with enemy units being subjected to siege attack.
Trample damage Edit
- Main article: Trample damage
Specific heavy cavalry units can deal AoE damage that only affects enemy units. In Age of Empires III, some cavalry units always engage targets in the trample mode, (for hand cavalry and the Howdah), while this is optional for other cavalry types.
Splash damage Edit
Typically, splash damage is a type of damage that bounces from the primary target target on the adjacent or nearby opponents, almost always dealing significantly lower damage to the latter. In Age of Empires II, the concept of splash damage was introduced with Cataphract's and War Elephant's trample damage. However, as infantry and siege units have no trampling capability, it may be more appropriate to distinguish it from cavalry's splash damage, also considering the game never uses the term trample damage in regard to the following units.
Siege damage Edit
Certain siege weapons deal AoE damage on both land combat units and buildings. While a number damage their own units, some do not. In Age of Empires III, siege damage typically refers to damage inflicted by units on buildings.
List of abilities and units Edit
Marked with a * are units that cause friendly fire.
Age of Empires Edit
Age of Empires II Edit
- Mangonel* - Onager* - Siege Onager*
- Petard (technically not a siege weapon)
- Capped Ram - Siege Ram
- Bombard Cannon*
- Trebuchet with Warwolf (Britons only)
- Demolition Raft - Demolition Ship - Heavy Demolition Ship
Age of Mythology Edit
- Units targeting a gate spread AoE damage across the gate and nearby walls
- Various god powers - Lightning Storm, Earthquake, Meteor, Tornado, Forest Fire, Shockwave, Implode, Uproot, Barrage, Great Flood, and Geyser
- The special attacks of Chimeras, Fire Giants, Azure Dragons, and Dragon Turtles
- Battle Boars, War Turtles, and Heka Gigantes' special attacks that knock multiple units away
- Phoenix, Fire Giant, Nidhogg, and Vermilion Bird regular attacks
- Lampades, Scarabs, Carcinos, and Terracotta Warriors deal AoE damage on death. In contrast, Qilin AoE heals allied units on death.
- Shennong's Sitting Tigers, and Fire Lances deal AoE damage
Age of Empires III Edit
- Artillery units in Age of Empires III and its expansions. They do not deal damage to friendly units and typically have an AoE range of 1 to 4.
- Flamethrower and Iron Flail in The Asian Dynasties
- Heavy melee infantry: