|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in other games of the series, see Archery Range.|
|“||Used to create and improve archers.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
Tactics and placement[edit | edit source]
The Archery Range is an essential building if the player has an archer-based civilization or if the player needs to have decent counter the enemy archers as the Skirmisher is trained there. If a player is intending to perform a turtling strategy that requires the use of ranged units they should build several Archery Ranges within fortifications, as they can produce the required basic types of archers, also considering that archers garrisoned in towers and Castles allow them to fire more arrows.
Like the Barracks, placing the Archery Ranges near to an enemy settlement helps to cut off walking distances for the troops as they can be created near the opponent allowing them to attack more effectively, also considering that foot archers have slow movement speed.
Trainable units and technologies[edit | edit source]
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
Availability grid[edit | edit source]
The following table shows the availability of the units and technologies for every civilization. Unique units and units that are available to all civilizations are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all units and technologies are available.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Work Rate|| Conscription (+33%)|
Steppe Husbandry (Cavalry Archers created 100% faster, Cumans only)
|Other||Kamandaran (Archer line only costs wood, Persians only)|
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Aztecs: Archery Range units are created 11% faster.
- Byzantines: Archery Ranges have +20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Skirmishers are 25% cheaper.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Archery Ranges and Archery Range technologies are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: Hand Cannoneers are cheaper.
- Khmer: Archery Ranges do not require a Barracks.
- Koreans: Archery Range units cost -20% wood.
- Malians: Archery Ranges are 15% cheaper.
- Mayans: Archers are 10%/20%/30% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: All Archery Range units cost -20% gold.
- Spanish: Archery Ranges are built 30% faster.
- Tatars: Parthian Tactics and Thumb Ring are free.
- Vietnamese: Conscription is free.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Berbers: Genitours/Elite Genitours are available at the Archery Range in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- A team containing Britons: Archery Ranges work 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Slavs: Archery Ranges provide +5 population.
- A team containing Vietnamese: Imperial Skirmishers are available at the Archery Range in the Imperial Age.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Age of Kings[edit | edit source]
The Conquerors[edit | edit source]
- Hand Cannon was removed from the game.
- Thumb Ring introduced.
- Parthian Tactics introduced.
- Heresy introduced.
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- Imperial Skirmisher introduced.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Arbalest renamed Arbalester.
- Elite Skirmisher upgrade cost increased from 200w/100g to 230w/130g.
- Cumans: Steppe Husbandry introduced.
- Koreans: Archery Range units cost less wood.
- Persians: Kamandaran introduced.
- Tatars: Parthian Tactics and Thumb Ring are free (since update 36202).
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Missile weapons like the bow carried over the Middle Ages from ancient times in most areas of the world. Northern Europe was an exception for many centuries because the dense forests of the region nullified the range advantage of bows. Throwing weapons like axes, javelins, and knives were more popular there. As the forests were cleared, use of the bow spread. Training with missile weapons took place at the archery range. The training of bowmen was especially favored in England, where every town had an archery range and competitions were held each week to encourage practice. From its large pool of archers, England could easily recruit several thousand expert longbowmen for armies going to France. As crossbows and early firearms came into use, men were trained to operate these weapons at a modified archery range.||”|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economic||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost · Donjon|
|Tower||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Wall||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|