|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in other games of the series, see Archery Range.|
|“||Used to create and improve archers.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
- 1 Tactics and placement
- 2 Trainable units and technologies
- 3 Availability grid
- 4 Further statistics
- 5 Civilization bonuses
- 6 Team bonuses
- 7 Changelog
- 8 History
- 9 Gallery
Tactics and placement
The Archery Range is an essential building if the player has an archer-based civilization or if the player needs to have decent counter to enemy archers as the Skirmisher is trained there. If a player is intending to perform a turtling strategy that requires the use of ranged units they should build several Archery Ranges within fortifications, as they can produce the required basic types of archers, also considering that archers garrisoned in towers and Castles allow them to fire more arrows.
Like the Barracks, placing the Archery Ranges near to an enemy settlement helps to cut off walking distances for the troops as they can be created near the opponent allowing them to attack more effectively, also considering that foot archers have slow movement speed.
Trainable units and technologies
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
The following table shows the availability of the units and technologies for every civilization. Unique units and units that are available to all civilizations are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all units and technologies are available.
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Work Rate|| Conscription (+33%)|
Steppe Husbandry (Cavalry Archers created 100% faster, Cumans only)
|Other||Kamandaran (Archer line only costs wood, Persians only)|
- Aztecs: Archery Range units are created 11% faster.
- Byzantines: Archery Ranges have +20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch and Town Patrol are free. Skirmishers are 25% cheaper.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Archery Ranges and Archery Range technologies are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Cumans: Archery Ranges cost -100 wood.
- Italians: Hand Cannoneers are cheaper.
- Khmer: Archery Ranges do not require a Barracks.
- Koreans: Archery Range units cost -20% wood.
- Malians: Archery Ranges are 15% cheaper.
- Mayans: Archers are 10%/20%/30% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: All Archery Range units cost -20% gold.
- Spanish: Archery Ranges are built 30% faster.
- Tatars: Parthian Tactics and Thumb Ring are free.
- Vietnamese: Conscription is free.
- A team containing Berbers: Genitours/Elite Genitours are available at the Archery Range in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- A team containing Britons: Archery Ranges work 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Slavs: Archery Ranges provide +5 population.
- A team containing Vietnamese: Imperial Skirmishers are available at the Archery Range in the Imperial Age.
The Age of Kings
- Cavalry Archers cost 40 wood, 70 gold.
- Hand Cannon is available for research in the Imperial Age.
- The Elite Skirmisher upgrade costs 250 wood, 160 gold.
- Hand Cannon was removed from the game.
- Thumb Ring introduced.
- Parthian Tactics introduced.
- Heresy introduced.
- Huns: Cavalry Archers are 25%/30% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Cavalry Archers cost 40 wood, 65 gold.
- Huns: Cavalry Archers are 15%/25% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Incas: Slinger introduced.
- Italians: Hand Cannoneers are 15% cheaper.
The African Kingdoms
- Cavalry Archers cost 40 wood, 60 gold.
- Genitour introduced.
- With patch 4.8, the Elite Skirmisher upgrade costs 200 wood, 100 gold.
- Huns: Cavalry Archers are now 10%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: With patch 4.8, Hand Cannoneers are 20% cheaper.
- Portuguese: Archery Range units cost -15% gold.
Rise of the Rajas
- Imperial Skirmisher introduced.
- Arbalest renamed Arbalester.
- Elite Skirmisher upgrade costs 230 wood, 130 gold.
- Cumans: Steppe Husbandry introduced. Steppe Husbandry increases creation speed of Cavalry Archers by 400%.
- Cumans: With update 36202, Steppe Husbandry increases creation speed of Cavalry Archers by 100%.
- Koreans: Initially, Archery Range units cost -15% wood. With update 39284, Archery Range units cost -20% wood.
- Persians: Kamandaran introduced. Kamandaran reduces the cost of Archers to 50 wood and costs 200 food, 200 gold.
- Persians: With update 34699, Kamandaran reduces the cost of Archers to 60 wood.
- Persians: With update 35584, Kamandaran costs 400 food, 300 gold.
- Portuguese: With update 39284, Archery Range units cost -20% gold.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are researched 30% faster.
- Tatars: With update 36202, Thumb Ring is free.
Dawn of the Dukes
|“||Missile weapons like the bow carried over the Middle Ages from ancient times in most areas of the world. Northern Europe was an exception for many centuries because the dense forests of the region nullified the range advantage of bows. Throwing weapons like axes, javelins, and knives were more popular there. As the forests were cleared, use of the bow spread. Training with missile weapons took place at the archery range. The training of bowmen was especially favored in England, where every town had an archery range and competitions were held each week to encourage practice. From its large pool of archers, England could easily recruit several thousand expert longbowmen for armies going to France. As crossbows and early firearms came into use, men were trained to operate these weapons at a modified archery range.||”|
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economic||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria · Folwark|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost · Donjon|
|Tower||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Wall||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|