"The commander of the Knights of St. John, Alain has devoted his whole life to the order. Though he can sometimes seem haughty and dismissive of his lessers, he is a superb tactician and an excellent horseman whose personal bravery in battle is unquestioned. Decades spent fighting his Ottoman foes have only strengthened Alain's resolve. Alain is a man of many secrets and seems to know what is going on in every corner of the world."
During the Siege of Malta, Alain led a cavalry march when a signal fire was lit, saving Morgan and the fort he was defending. Following a small battle to push the last of the Ottomans from Malta, Alain presented Morgan with his own Flagship and sent him to the New World. Once there he sought out information on The Fountain of Youth and waged a campaign against the Spanish, who were also seeking the fountain. Soon Morgan and his newly formed allies, Elisabet Ramsey and Sahin cleared the way to fight the Circle of Ossus and discovered that Alain was the acting commander of the secret society. During the battle at the Fountain of Youth, Alain was killed, but the crippled Circle lived on to fight another day.
Alain is primarily featured in Act I: Blood in the beginning and towards the end.
- Breakout – Hero version, controllable.
- Into the Caves – Hero version, controllable.
- Spanish Treasure Fleet – Cutscene only, orders Morgan to attack the Spanish while he rides inland to the Lake.
- The Fountain of Youth? – Non-hero version, as an enemy unit.
In-game unit Edit
"Commander of the Knights of St. John on Malta."—In-game description
Alain fights with his sword and rides his horse in combat.
If the hero version of Alain falls, he will collapse instead of dying and need to regenerate enough hit points to be rescued by allies. Unlike Explorers, he can neither collect treasures nor build Trading Posts and Town Centers, and has no special abilities.
The non-hero version of Alain is more powerful, having 3,500 hit points, a whopping 75% resistance to ranged damage, and does twice the damage, but does not regenerate hit points, has a slightly lower speed, and will die instead of collapsing when he falls.
- Alain Magnan is the first mounted hero in Age of Empires III and the only one in the base game; The WarChiefs and The Asian Dynasties introduces more mounted heroes such as Sioux War Chief and General Kichiro.
- Alain Magnan is one of the strongest villains in the game. His personal guard (Hussars) are much stronger than that of the other villains.