|This article is about the hero in Age of Mythology. For the hero in Age of Empires, see Hero Ajax.|
|“||You may feel less like fighting after I pull off your head!||”|
|—Ajax's obsession with heads begins.|
Ajax is the Archaic Age hero for Hades in Age of Mythology. He also appears in the Fall of the Trident and The New Atlantis campaigns. The stats to the right are for the non-campaign Ajax, who lacks a Shield Bash attack, the ability to be revived and is slightly weaker.
- Classical Age, Heroic Age, Mythic Age increases hit points and attack by 10%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons, Iron Weapons: +10% attack
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail, Iron Mail: -15% hack vulnerability
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields, Iron Shields: -15% pierce vulnerability
- Oracle (Apollo): Increases LOS by 6.
|“||Age -- 34
Homeland -- Salamis
Occupation -- Prince, warrior
Special attack -- shield bash sends units flying
The son of the King of Salamis, Ajax was the second greatest Greek champion at Troy, behind only Achilles. Homer described Ajax as a wall, and said he was much taller than other men. When Achilles withdrew from the fighting, it was Ajax who met Hector in single combat. The two heroes fought all day, with only Hector taking a slight wound. Following the death of Achilles, Ajax competed with Odysseus for the armor of the fallen hero. Odysseus proved more eloquent as a speaker, however, and was awarded the prize.
|—In-game mythology section|
|Age / God||Zeus||Poseidon||Hades|
|Mythic Age||Bellerophon|| Polyphemus
In the campaigns, Ajax has substantially boosted hit points. He also has a shield bash special attack that knocks enemy foot soldiers back a short distance and deals 60 hack damage. Like other campaign heroes, he regenerates and cannot be killed; he will merely faint if his HP is reduced to 1. He can be revived if approached by friendly units.
In the Fall of the Trident campaign, he meets Arkantos during the Trojan War (it is implied that they already know each other) and accompanies him to Ioklos afterwards. Ajax is typically the "brawn" of the team, not being much of a strategist but a hardy fighter nonetheless.
In the The New Atlantis campaign Ajax, soon to be crowned King of Salamis, leads a company of Greek troops to confront Kastor and the Atlanteans in response to their unexplained attack on Sikyos. However, he joins Kastor after realizing that they had been tricked by Kronos' servant.
Age of Mythology
- Ajax trains in 9 seconds.
Tale of the Dragon
- Ajax trains in 4 seconds.
- Early screens show Ajax originally was going to use a sword, however this was changed for unknown reasons.
- Unlike in the Iliad, Ajax does not die from suicide, but instead lives on for at least a decade after the Trojan War.
- During the campaign cutscenes, Ajax has a sarcastic and rather aggressive attitude.
- Comically, Ajax seems to be fond of pulling off the heads of his foes. Throughout the original campaign, he mentions it thrice (both in the original AoM and The Titans)
- The first instance is in the post cutscene of the campaign scenario Isis, Hear My Plea in Fall of the Trident. When Gargarensis was interrogating Arkantos on the prison land, he said that the Cyclops may feel less like fighting after pulling off his head.
- The second instance is in the opening cut scene of Betrayal at Sikyos from The Titans expansion. When Kastor was tricked by the Atlanteans into attacking the Greeks, he told Amanra that he will pull off Kastor's head when he sees him.
- The third instance is in the campaign scenario Making Amends. As the player captures three settlements, Ajax will comment that after claiming the last Settlement, he will tear off the Titan's head.
|Heroes in Age of Mythology|
|Age of Mythology|
|Heroes||Agamemnon · Ajax · Amanra · Arkantos · Brokk · Chiron · Eitri · Odysseus · Reginleif · Setna|
|Antagonists||Circe · Gargarensis · Kamos · Kemsyt · Skult · Theris|
|Supporting characters||Athena · Greta Forkbeard · Kastor · Niordsir · Old Man · Osiris · Theocrat · Zethos|
|Heroes||Ajax · Amanra · Folstag · Gaia · Kastor · Son of Osiris|
|Antagonists||Melagius · Kronos · Prometheus · Servant of Kronos|
|Supporting characters||Arkantos · Atlantean Commander · Krios · Zeno|
|Tale of the Dragon|
|Heroes||Jiao-Long · Shun · Zhi|
|Antagonists||Danzhu · Yama|
|Supporting characters||Ao Kuang · Dilong · Emperor Yao · Pangu · Vermilion Bird|