Blocking is the method by which administrators may prevent users from editing Age of Empires Series Wiki over a certain time period. Blocks are used to prevent damage or disruption, not to punish users. Blocks are sometimes used as a deterrent, to discourage whatever behavior that led to the block and encourage a productive editing environment.
Any user may request a block at the Administrator noticeboard for major incidents of vandalism or disruption. Users requesting blocks should supply credible evidence of the circumstances warranting a block. Administrators are never obliged to place a block and are free to investigate the situation themselves. Because blocks may be reviewed and appealed, it is often important that the blocking and reviewing administrators each communicate with and take care to inform the other.
Blocked users can appeal their blocks by making a statement on their wall or talk page. Except in cases of unambiguous error, administrators should not undo other administrators' blocks without prior discussion; see below.
Reasons for blocking
Accounts and addresses may be blocked for behavior that damages or disrupts the wiki, including:
- Recurring vandalism or spamming, with reference to the definitions given by our revert policy
- Recurring failure to observe the behavioral sections of our discussion policy, such as making personal attacks or not adhering to a basic standard of civility
- Recurring harrassment, defined by Wikipedia as "a pattern of repeated offensive behavior that appears to a reasonable observer to intentionally target a specific person or [group of] persons"
- Continual edit warring
- Sockpuppetry and meatpuppetry
- No clearly discernable intent to observe non-behavioral policies
- Accounts with inappropriate usernames
- Editing for the sole purpose of obtaining badges
Unless an account is clearly only for the purposes of disruption, communication and attempted rectification of behavior should occur before a block should be considered.
Accounts and addresses may not be blocked for:
- Disagreeing with an administrator; this is conflict of interest.
- "Cooling off" purposes; this usually only inflames the situation.
Duration of blocks
Although each administrator blocks at their own discretion, the duration of the block given should depend on the severity of the behavior and the likelihood of its repetition. However, the following should be kept in mind:
- In general, the first block should be of a reasonably short duration, with the length increasing progressively every time a further block is required.
- Anonymous users should never be blocked indefinitely. If you see any anonymous user blocked indefinitely, report it on the administrator noticeboard.
- Sockpuppets that have been used maliciously should always be blocked indefinitely.
|Policies and guidelines|